Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks when booting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twintone

twintone

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hello,

This is regarding my Vista Home 64bit desktop.

This morning I rebooted my system due to Windows update requirements, and when the system attempts to boot back up, it locks at the windows boot screen (the one that has the little greenish lines scrolling from left to right) the green lines scroll by about 4 times and then abruptly stop. HDD activity stops as well. I let the system sit for about 5 minutes and there was no change. I was then forced to do a hard power down. When I rebooted I chose to boot into safe mode which actually seemed to hang a little more than it normally would, but the HDD light was very active. I let it continue, and it eventually booted into safe mode. 

At this point I selected to schedule a disk check to see if maybe there were errors on the disk. I then rebooted, and the same issue happened where it locks up during the windows boot screen with the green bars scrolling. They scrolled by about 4 times again, and then just halted and the system was locked again.

At that point I decided to see if I might be able to get a little advise on what to try next. I haven't ever seen this issue before, and am stumped on what it could be. 

Thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

If this is the result of a Microsoft update you can boot into Safe Mode, open the control panel and go to uninstall a program.  When it opens there will be an options to show updates, click on this.  Find the last update and uninstall it, reboot and see if this resolve the issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 twintone

twintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Unfortunately now I am unable to boot into safe mode. It locks up at \windows\system32\drivers\aswRvrt.sys when loading windows files. I have tried 4 times now, both with and without networking and it locks up at the same place each time.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have a installation disc for your copy of Vista?

If not, use the link below to take you to a website where there are instructions for creating a ISO recovery disc.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html?ltr=C

I would try using the System Restore option first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 twintone

twintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I do have a system disk. Attempted a system restore, and unfortunately it appears I don't have any restore points... at least that is what it's telling me. I opened the command line option and ran a chkdsk which came up with no errors. I also attempted a system repair which ran close to an hour, but ended up not finding anything to fix. Not sure what I can try next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users