Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 out of 3 computers get very poor speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm asking this question for my mother and people who live with her. They have 3 PC's where they live all of them but one have great speed 40Mbps, but one has 3mbps.

I honestly don't know too much about the set up and thats where I'm hoping you guys will help. They paid some computer guy to set this up 6-7 yrs ago and I just found out now that this has been going on since day one.

Quick rundown. Back when they moved into this house 6-7yrs ago they set up two computers. In rooms right across from each other, I'm talking maybe 20-25 feet away from one another with a hallway (2 ft wide) and two walls between. My mothers computer was the one (and still is) to have all the connections directly to the router (not sure of the brand, but I can get that info at a later point). My aunts computer was then hooked up via a wireless adapter. But she always lost connection. She was told that it was because of the old style of the house, the walls must be messing with the signal. So, she got rid of that, and he "hard wired" her to the router. This is a ethernet wire that runs in the basement from one side of the house to the other, directly connected into the router.

Fast foward a few years, same connection, different computer. Mom's runs Vista, Aunts runs XP, and now a 3rd computer has been added and also "hardwired" the way described above. Not sure what that computer runs. But according to the owner of the computer it runs the high speed no problem. So, my mothers, and their friends runs perfectly fine, but my Aunt's connection only gets about 3mpbs out of 40!

I don't know where to begin looking here. When something like this happened at my own house I needed to get a new wireless adapter and new router because both couldn't handle the upgraded speeds of my cable provider. But that can't be the case here since everyone else in the house gets good speeds.

Only thing I can think of is perhaps a bad ethernet cable. But really I have no idea what to even look at to begin to elimiate possible issues. Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

What are you using to judge the speed of the connection?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I used SpeedTest.net or the one Charter Communications has.

I ran across one site and thought I bookmarked it, that said that Windows XP has something in it that you need to turn off or edit to get the correct speeds.

Does anyone here know anything about this or how to go about fixing it? I'm headed over to their house Sunday, so if I could fix this for them that would be awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users