Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple Reboots On It's Own

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Has any one seen this before with an apple pc. I don't know what it is other than a new pc. A customer of mine is complaining of power problems because her apple keeps rebooting on it's own. I have checked the voltage/frequency & see no apparent problems. Being a windows man myself I do know that apple can have their quirks also. It does not do it all the time, maybe once a week. The pc has been back to apple & they say it's ok. I suggested they put a windows machine in this out let & see if it does the same. They refuse. They bought a power bar with filtering on it & it still did this. I was going to put a trace on the power for a week & see what it does or doesn't show. Do apples have a bios? Could some setting be causing this? I'm at a loss. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Do apples have a bios?

No, not in the traditional sense you're thinking of anyways. Someday PC's won't have one either. A bios is considered a clunky way of handling hardware functions and the computer industry wants it gone eventually.
You can access certain hardware functions though. See: Open Firmware
I use to work for an authorized Apple repair shop but that was back in 1992. I wouldn't attempt messing with system settings now until I was absolutely sure of what I was doing. Probably childs play for a mac enthusiast though. :thumbsup:
The symptoms do sound hardware related. I'd be looking for a pattern here. Does it always reboot using a specific program, does it do it only after it's been on for a certain amount of time, etc.
One things for sure, if it was mine and a new system, Apple would either be replacing it, fixing it or wearing it. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users