Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Thunderbird emails from Windows 7 to Ubuntu 12.10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

I am having difficulty understanding "all" the information I've read on moving my "emails" from the Windows7 Thunderbird to the Ubuntu Thunderbird (both systems dual boot) on my & my wife's Toshiba laptops.

I can open ProfileManager in Windows 7 but I don't know how to do this in Ubuntu 12.10?

I've downloaded & printed the following & tried everything suggested:  (especially, concering the profile.ini file in Ubuntu)

MozillaZine

Moving from Windows to Linux

Move to a new PC

Importing folders

Transfering data to a new profile-Thunderbird

Moving your profile folder

Profile backup

Profile Manager

Of course, the above help topics reference may other links, too.

I don't have this issue with the Adress book...it's up an running without a problem!

I would be very appreciative to anyone who can give me a "  ...simple...  " step by step to get my wife's emails from her Windows 7 Thunderbird to the Ubuntu 12.10 version 17.0.5 of Thunderbird.

Thanks,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Success after all...

Went to the folder in Windows 7 where Thunderbird stores the Profiles and copied the folder with the 8 caracter description (letters & numbers).  Then pasted this (unique for my case different for each user) folder  ( pdk1tjip ) into the Ubuntu location where Thunderbird stores the profiles, which is a hidden folder in the Home folder:   /home/bill/.thunderbird

To find the path just right click on the Local Folders in Thunderbird and click Settings or right click the InBox and click Properties.

The next step was to boot up the Thunderbird Profile Manager...by opening the Terminal in Ubuntu 12.10 and typing:  thunderbird -p

Be sure to quit (close) the Thunderbird program before trying this command.

I created two profiles, one for the "original" profile that Ubuntu 12.10 created, when I started Thunderbird for the first time & the other for the profile that I copied from the Windows 7 C:\ drive location.  I was able to simply copy from the C:\drive location from within Ubuntu 12.10.

The results of the Profile Manager changes are shown below in the ( profiles.ini ) file that Profile Manager modified:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=Windows 7
IsRelative=1
Path=pdk1tjip.default
Default=1

[Profile1]
Name=Ubuntu 12.10
IsRelative=1
Path=4lh5p76l.default

Now I can go to the Profile Manager and select which one (profile) I want Thunderbird to load.

All the data, i.e., mail, etc. that was on the Windows 7 Thunderbird functions perfectly on the Ubuntu 12.10 version.

But, I am wondering, if there is a way within Thunderbird to select the profile, while the program is still running?

It's important to keep in mind that the Profile Manager will not boot up with Thunderbird running.  The Thunderbird program must be closed before you try to load the Profile Manager via the Terminal.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.

Best,

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users