Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop.ini questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

I have two hidden files on my desktop called desktop.ini, I think this is normal but I also have two hidden files of the same name in my documents folder. Also when I put a cd in the E: or copy files to cd/DVD I get another desktop.ini listed under files waiting to be copied to disk. Is this all normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001060.htm

This file can be safely deleted from any directory.  However, because this file may have settings associated with the folder that it contains and deleting this file will change these settings back to default. For example, if the folder containing this file has a different icon and you delete this file the default folder icon will be re-enabled.

Tekken

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

This hidden file is placed in every folder to tell the operating system how to display and customize the viewing of that specific folder. For example, this allows a folder to have a custom icon.

There are some viruses which infects desktop.ini to stay hidden (including nasty zero access). I recommend to use a good antivirus program to scan the system and make sure it is not infected.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 April 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

OK, thanks. I don't think this is an infected file as I have freshly installed windows and it was doing this before I had connected to the net or anything else. I was just wondering what this file was all about, I understand more now, thanks.

Edited by Zone out, 10 April 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Check to see if you have hidden files and folders to show checked  and  Hide protected operating system files unchecked. This will cause desktop.ini to show on the desktop if that is where you see it.

Please check those 2 settings. Just in case:

Click Computer icon on your desktop or in the Start Menu.

When Windows Explorer opens click Tools/Folder Options/View.

Under Advanced Settings make sure Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives is checked.

Next make sure Hide protected operating system files (recommended) is checked.

Click APPLY.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 April 2013 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users