Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death on startup.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 derail

derail

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hello,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 running Win XP Home Edition (when staring, it shows "Dell Latitude"); it's been a long time (a year?) since I tried anything.  Was talking to our I.T. guy and he suggested I give you a shot at this.

When starting, after the DELL screen (with F2 and F12 options) the window with Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

do not select this [debugger enabled]

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

After selecting Microsoft Windows XP Professional (the default if I don't touch the keyboard), I get the black screen with "start in safe mode, safe mode w/networking, safe mode w/command prompt,...etc.

Whatever I try, it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

In plain Safe Mode, it gives the Technical Info:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F2EE30, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

In Safe Mode with Networking:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F359E0, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

In Safe Mode with Command Prompt:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F2EE30, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

In Last Known Good Configuration:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F21900, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Start Windows Normally:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F21900, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

If I try the Recovery I still get the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and...

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8234E590, 0xc000014F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I assume it's some kind of infection.  I only use this for personal stuff and am going out of town for work (for 2 weeks) and would like to use it for email and surfing, instead of using the work laptop (besides, work doesn't really lke us using their laptops for 'general entertainment' for fear of corruption of work-related data.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I only listed all the codes because I recently realized some are different (I hope it's not too much information). Im sending this message from my PS3; my only internet connection (which kinda sucks because Sony quit supporting Adobe Flash (or whatever most websites use to display most content), but at least I have an old USB keyboard to enter text :)

Thanks in advance, I know you all must be pretty busy and I am thankful there are people out there willing to help!

Derail

ps  I haven't installed anything new or tried to mod this laptop...it's just a general use laptop by a general use person.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

BSOD Index http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000ED

Usual causes:  Hard drive problem, File system problem, Improper boot parameters

Please try this link and see the resolution steps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Tekken

#3 derail

derail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the information on the codes...I knew they had to mean something.

I don't have the original boot disk. :(  I might have an older (not XP) boot disk at my home; I'm currently living in an apartment 3 hours away from home, due to work.  I bought this laptop years ago second-hand from someone who refurbished them.  How can I get a new boot disk?  I'll be traveling for the next two weeks; I will have a blank CD with me as well as USB thumb drives, so I should be able to download using my work laptop.

Thanks again for the help!

#4 Clivelton

Clivelton

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hello Derail!

Maybe you need fix the system files.

you need a XP disc (not need original disk) you can download any professional XP disc and set you computer to boot from cd, on screen of install you press "R" to enter in a prompt comand.

The system will be display what Windows Installation you want recover, normaly existing only one, (if you have one only windows installation) chose, pressing 1 on you keyboard. After This, the system will ask your Username and Password. Put the correct datas the console will open a normaly comand line.

Now, you try this comand:

chkdsk /f /r

this command will fix you sistem and some problems on your Hard Drive. This action take a lot of time.

sincerly hope help u.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

The first thing to do is back up your important files externally using a live cd disc. See here http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html#.UWrMYcr7Cye The next thing is to check for the health status of your hard drive. If the laptop comes with a built in diagnostic test or hard drive test usually in advance mode or BIOS setup, run the shot and long test. If the HD fails on the short test, it would mean that its a hard drive replacement in the making and hopefully you would be able to backup your data on the first suggestion given. If it pass the short and long test, then see the other cause on the Microsoft link without the XP disc being involved.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users