Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latex gloves vs grounded wristband for repairing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

When it comes to repairing or upgrading a computer, what is a good choice... latex gloves or a grounded wristband? Can you provide the pros and cons for each?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484117/upgrade-ram/?p=3016084

<snip> get some latex gloves on your hands, or maybe even google for countermeasures against ESD (electrostatic discharge). <snip>

I would definitely Google how to prevent or minimize ESD. I would however NOT use latex gloves. Ever rub a balloon?

Latex is not ESD compliant. The material, when rubbed against itself, creates a triboelectric effect (also referred to as a tribo effect or triboelectic charging). This means it creates an electric charge, and makes the material unsuitable for electronics applications.

Above quote from: http://www.gsfcc.org/index.php?title=Alternatives_To_Latex

Bold in the quote above is mine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

I prefer barefoot on a linoleum floor, and just being careful to ground myself on the case. With that being said, those wristbands arnt that expensive, but I would avoid latex gloves like the plague. Might as well put your socks on, drag your feet across the carpet, and then take your chances. Just sayin. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Ok then wristband it is! I ask only because I thought I saw someone using those doctor gloves holding a CPU somewhere on youtube... I'm sure those doctor gloves are latex so I might as well ask.  I just know building my first computer will be a paranoid experience for me D= 

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

hehe first one usually is. Word of advice, helped me out, before building your computer, find an old one, that someones getting rid of or something, something that works but is absolutly worthless, and do a couple test runs on it first, take apart, rebuild (including re-applying thermal paste) and repeat again, that way your good and comfortable with handling computer parts, before you handle something that youve spent money on. And if you happen to mess up, no big deal, you messed up a dinosaur that no one cares about anymore and you learned how not to do that on the new system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Cool, I actually have a laptop someone gave me. The Motherboard is fried so I'll just play around with it and maybe I can replace it soon and see if that works out. thanks for the advice man

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

sometimes it doesnt hurt to dumpster dive behind computer shops and find 2 or 3 that theyve thrown away and mix and match to see if you can get them running again.

picard5.jpg

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I ran into this when i installed some RAM. I used latex gloves thinking that my skin or oils or acids could not come in contact with the physical RAM stick. I was proven extremely wrong in another BC topic a few weeks ago. i would just google it and read up on the best method. by the way, my RAM installation went seamlessly, which is why i gave that ill-fated advice about the gloves.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users