Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I re-install Windows Vista to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sweet21roxy

sweet21roxy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have been searching an unable to find anything that works. I have a Toshiba Satellite A355 with Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (I think it is the 64bit version) The Windows product code on the bottom of the laptop was rubbed off but I was able to extract the code from the computer. I do not have an install CD and I do not think that one was even included in the initial purchase of the laptop. I found something about restarting it and booting from a partition (F8?) but one does not appear to exist. I also do not have access to the Control Panel; when I click on it, it says "application not found." That is part of the reason that I just want a fresh install to factory settings. Maybe there is a way to download and burn a install disk from the Microsoft website where I can use the code that I have? If I have to order a disk, it would be helpful to find out where I could get one. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

If your Toshiba has recovery partition this is how you access it...

- Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

If the above doesn't work you can order recovery DVD from Toshiba.

It'll be cheaper than buying Vista DVD and you don't have to worry about looking for proper drivers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sweet21roxy

sweet21roxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I have read so many forums on accessing the partition but couldn't find the right combination that would take me where I wanted. I had already stored all my files on an external hard-drive so I didn't need anything off the computer and was able to wipe the hard-drive. I just finished with all the Windows updates and got it back up to service pack 2. I am working on downloading the other needed software (like a flash player ect.) and I should be good. Really, thank you for your clear and concise instructions! It is super easy once you get to that partition!

***********************************************************************************

I ordered a recovery disk before for our Dell computer and I am glad that I didn't have to do that this time and wait for the cd to come in. (It was only a few dollars but the customer service people transfer you several times and hardly spoke english then they sent the wrong one the first time. :/ )

**For anyone with a similar problem later, I didn't have to re-enter the product code when I reloaded from the partition.

**You would need the code if you order a CD but I was able to use a product key finder to extract it from the computer. (Belarc Advisor)

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Good job :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users