Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers Crashing, Can Only Browse in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Khnum

Khnum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Okay. So about 2 weeks ago my internet connection was upgraded to a faster speed and ADSL2+. I was using a cheap USB Wireless adapter which stopped connecting to the internet, I assumed it was because it didn't support the newer connection or whatever so I ordered a cable. That didn't seem to solve the problem though so I'm assuming that I downloaded something or got infected at some point and that's messing with my browsers.

The problem lies in that I am connected to the network but can't browse. Chrome stays in an infinite loading loop, IE stops responding then starts and stops again etc. and Firefox loads the homepage and crashes. Programs like Steam and Messenger also won't log in.

I booted up in Safe Mode and browsing worked fine and then I found that I can browse using Avast's SafeZone Browser thing in not safe mode.

I've run scans with Malwarebytes and Avast among others and nothing found a problem. I tried doing a clean boot to find out what was affecting the browsers but to no avail.

Also, I may have screwed up the settings of some things while searching Google for answers, so if I should reset some settings as part of a solution please point that out.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm pretty terrible at maintaining a healthy computer. :D

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

EDIT: On a whim I decided to run Malwarebytes again and it has been going for ~20 minutes and found a few objects. I'm not sure why the first scans came up clean. Will update later after college.

EDIT 2: Turns out it was detecting some .dll files that may or may not have been used to avoid license annoyances. The issue remains.

Edited by Khnum, 10 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users