Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Americans Think Of Canada

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

Don't mean to start a war by typing this but I would just like to know. Do you americans out there think of all us Canadians as lumber jacks and fishermen...

I might cut firewood but so does George Bush... and the weekend fishing trip is always nice hey Bill Clinton...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

I've always liked canada. It has a LOT less problems (at least internationally, dunno about domestically) than the US does, and seem to fight amongst themselves a HELL of a lot less... Oh, and they also have a lower drinking age :thumbsup:

A downside is that canada isn't open to a lot of the commercial advantages that the US is...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 06 April 2006 - 10:17 PM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

I might cut firewood but so does George Bush... and the weekend fishing trip is always nice hey Bill Clinton...

Exactly.
Personally, I've never really thought about it that much, Klinkaroo.
I figured Canadians were pretty much the same as us, Lumberjacks, Fishermen, Doctors, Lawyers, etc.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

I spent a week in montreal last year, and I really enjoyed it. Everyone was very friendly, and helpful. I would like to go back sometime
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

Both of our countries are pretty much the same, other than being a little colder, about the only difference is our government is a lot more aggressive internationally, but your safe... so far you haven't discovered any major oil deposits. :thumbsup:

When ever I think in terms of our international relationship I remember the joke about the US Navy vs Canada.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call. :flowers:

BTW, I'm on my third cord of fire wood this winter/spring, and I split my own rounds with a maul, and I fish in a lake just over one mile away.

Edited by dc3, 07 April 2006 - 02:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

Damn that is hilarious... Wonder who diverted in the end.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

As an American girl born in Canada, I love them both!
Posted Image

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Damn that is hilarious... Wonder who diverted in the end.

This was a popular joke that was originally reported as an actual event, the befgoning of this joke read,

"Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995".

If you notice the Aircaft Carrier was the USS CORAL SEA, well...the USS Coral Sea (CV 43) was decommissioned and scrapped 2 July 1993. :thumbsup:

It's still one of those stories that are fun to read, btw, when I sent this to my 85 year old father, he replied, "typical Navy arrogance".

Edited by dc3, 07 April 2006 - 09:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 unwanted

unwanted

• Banned
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

I go to America and i really love it there. (New England)

Canada ive never been to unfortnatley, but i hear theres lots of snow, ice hockey and Maple syrup!
The Irish legal system was based very closely on the Canadian one.

Oh yea, Canada unlike america have a half decent rugby team...most of them come from Brittish Col.
Yea Woodcutter country!

Go Canada :thumbsup:

#10 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Last time I was in Canada was in 9th grade and that was 8 years ago. It was in Toronto and I was visiting my Aunts. Didn't really care for it and was bored. But it doesn't help that I wasn't stuck staying at the apartment playing Super Nintendo while everyone else went out gambling. Anyway I don't think they are a bunch of lumber jacks and fisherman. My aunts however do fish a lot and say "Aye" an awful lot . Its weird though they sound like a stereotypical canadian and asian.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

I have always considered Canadians to be just like Americans, except more polite. Had it not been for some ironies of history, we all might be a single nation today.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

I echo what jgweed said above.

My brother owned some property in the NWT and we were always treated
as close neighbors when there.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:55 PM

Love Canada.
Go walleye fishing ever year at Lac Des Mille Lac.
When I was a kid, my dad would take me to White River fishing.
I can still remember having to cut in a road to the lake every time we went.
The drive along 17 on the north shore of Lake Superior has some of the most beautiful views you will see in your lifetime. I haven't missed a summer vacation in Canada in nearly 30 years. I sometimes wish I lived there instead of here in the U.S.
Canada is a country you can be proud of Klinkaroo. :thumbsup:

#14 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

Yeah just wondering did anybody here see the Micheal Moore documentary Bowling at Columbine. Micheal moore was littaraly shocked when he came to Canada.

Guess he has a reason to... Canada has 133 gun murders and American well 11,500... hmmm slight difference BUT canada has more guns per person (we like hunting, got to have the right gun for the right game)

BTW Moose is delicious (sorry if I offend any vegeterians here...

And something I hear alot about canada is that our beer is stronger... have never tried american beer but if someone has tried both could you share with us a ltitle

#15 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:31 AM

Yeah just wondering did anybody here see the Micheal Moore documentary Bowling at Columbine. Micheal moore was littaraly shocked when he came to Canada.

Yea i saw that pic, it was entertaining but all to be taken with a pinch of salt kinda like donald and daffey duck, Michael moore is a complete :thumbsup:

Could never take anythin he portrays serious after he made the connection between Bush and Binladen wat a loada...

But..i still think canada rocks!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users