Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent reboots. Always while I'm away.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Montuckian

Montuckian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

So, I've got a weird problem.  My PC keeps rebooting and only does it while I'm not in front of it.  Every time I come back to the login screen and a subsequent error message about an unprompted reboot when I log in.  Here's my Speccy to get started:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UIwdMaDTyPJ6Z17W72ivkJ6

Here's also what I've sussed out of the event log so far, although it's very likely that I'm missing something:

Event Logs:

On Reboot:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002 - TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-04-09T20:53:07.371620900Z

EventRecordID 37207

Correlation - Execution

[ ProcessID] 4 [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer HAL5000-PC - Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

• EventData

BugcheckCode 30 BugcheckParameter1 0x0 BugcheckParameter2 0x0 BugcheckParameter3 0x0 BugcheckParameter4 0x0 SleepInProgress false PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Last event before reboot most of the time:

• System

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager [ Guid] {F3C5E28E-63F6-49C7-A204-E48A1BC4B09D}

EventID 6

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000 - TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-04-09T20:52:58.432805200Z

EventRecordID 37200

Correlation - Execution

[ ProcessID] 4 [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer HAL5000-PC - Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

• Provider
  • EventData

FinalStatus 0x0 DeviceVersionMajor 6 DeviceVersionMinor 1 DeviceNameLength 8 DeviceName FileInfo DeviceTime 2009-07-13T17:34:25.000000000Z

So far I've repaired the Windows OS, completed virus scans/repairs with MB and CF, changed outlets to try to isolate out any power fluxes or power strip issues.  I've also tested heat and it doesn't look to be a factor at this point, as far as I can tell.  One possible additional symptom is that my GPU began to go dark while in game over the past few weeks.  It would only be momentary, perhaps a second or five, and then come back on.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hi Motuckian :)

Is the restart problem happening only in sleep mode or of what event when you say 'only away'?

Things to check :

> Driver updates

> BIOS update

> Power Supply not sufficient or faulty

> Use the onboard video (if available) or swap another dedicated card

Tekken

#3 Montuckian

Montuckian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hey Jhayz-

I've prevented the PC from entering sleep mode, although I did notice what appeared to be it happening when the PC turned the monitor off.

I ended up disallowing monitor shut off from the control panel, which seemed to have an effect on the restart behavior, until I started a graphics heavy application and the crash happened again.

So, as to your suggestions, I have updated drivers.  I haven't tested the PSU (how would you suggest that I do that?)  I'll do a bios update tonight when I'm home in addition to switching away from the dedicated card.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Please let us know what would be the outcome. Check your Video card driver here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/59641

Tekken

#5 Montuckian

Montuckian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

I apologize for the lag in this post.  I've been trying to find time to work through the list above.

I've updated the video card driver in order to confirm that the previous update took.  This process will typically cause a crash, but I've been able to complete it through safe mode.

I haven't been able to update the bios.  I've tried a number of things, but I can't get the mobo to recognize what I'm trying to do be it through a USB drive or on the HDD itself.

The crashes have stopped for the most part, but only appear when I'm trying to run a graphically intense program.

I've maxxed the card out through the manufacturers testing program without a crash, so I don't believe it's a performance issue or heat that's causing the crash.

I'm a bit perplexed here as you can imagine.

#6 stoneyc

stoneyc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

don't bet on the manufactures software test had it happen to me once it was a bad video card get new card uninstall old card drivers first if you can if not when new card is in update drivers

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.
Removed inadvertent underline - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users