Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Experiencing random lags while gaming.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I've been experiencing random lags with a few games I never had before. Particularly strange with Don't Starve, seeing as it's generally low-impact. I've taken a look at running tasks and can't seem to find anything strange there, so at this point I'm concerned that the hardware might be slowing down.

I'd just like to ask what a good hardware monitor for my laptop might be. Specifically something that will give me GPU temps.

Machine name: OWNER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Processor: Nividia GeForce GT 525M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

I use this hardware temps monitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Tekken

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

I hate to sound like a dick, but does this really contain an Ask Toolbar? If it does, it doesn't seem to give me the option to disinclude it.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/9bc60720d01060e991e44c5cd0df0a35f708cff11f4f253c66c9e6b7e561150f/analysis/1366017516/

Edited by VicVegas, 15 April 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#4 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Nevermind my previous statement.

I'm not experiencing as much lag in all my different games as I thought... though my laptop has started crashing in tf2, and judging by the temps I think I see why.

Idle temps: http://puu.sh/2AVW0

Temps at load: http://puu.sh/2AW3k

It even went above 90°C a bunch of times.

I also figure idle temps should be about 10 degrees cooler.

Edit: Wait... None of these are actually GPU temps. It's not even detecting it... Much like how a large number of other programs don't detect it even though it's there.

Edited by VicVegas, 15 April 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#5 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Double check your results from HWmonitor. I just downloaded and tested it and you can see my GPU temp towards the bottom under NVIDIA GTX 660. Or you could give GPU-Z a shot. It focuses only on your graphics card so that may be your best bet.

502yx2.jpg

Here's a blurb from Intel:

The temperature value handled is the TCase value; this is a number established by Intel as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

The Tcase value for the Intel Core i7 processor is 72.6°C.

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 16 April 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

It is possible that there may not be a temperature sensor for the graphics card but have you tried updating you graphics drivers? Also for TF2, it can be common for it to crash occasionally but if it is consistent crashing then you can validate the game files through Steam. 

Edited by killerx525, 17 April 2013 - 05:01 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users