Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPod 4G Runs Slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

My iPod 4th Generation runs incredibly slow.  It takes way longer than other devices for apps to load.  When typing, sometimes takes a few moments for text to appear.

Thanks!

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

My iPod 4th Generation runs incredibly slow.  It takes way longer than other devices for apps to load.  When typing, sometimes takes a few moments for text to appear.

Thanks!

Tom

Which iPod model?  Is it an iPod Touch 4th Generation?  Or is it one of the iPod models?

I am going to assume it in an iPod Touch since this in an iOS forum and the iPod Touch is the only iPod model running iOS and you mentioned typing which is only possible on a Touch to my knowledge.

If so, the first thing to try will be to reset the iPod Touch.  After you reset it, try installing a few key apps to see if they work any faster.

To be honest, I suspect there likely will not be much you can do.  An 4th Gen iPod Touch is using a much slower CPU/GPU compared to say an iPhone 5.  In general, it will run significantly slower than newer versions of an iPod Touch or iPhone (or iPad).  I can tell you that my 3rd Gen iPod Touch runs WAY slower than my iPhone 4S...this is even with the 3rd Gen iPod Touch stuck on iOS 4.2.1, a lighter, faster version of the iOS in many ways.

#3 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks smax013.  You are right on everything.  Tried resetting and it doesn't help.  That just sucks, though.  When I got it it ran fine.  But now, in order to keep running everything just fine, I have to buy a new iPod.  

Suckage...

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

That just sucks, though.  When I got it it ran fine.  But now, in order to keep running everything just fine, I have to buy a new iPod.  

Suckage...

Two things:

1) When you got it, there nominally was nothing faster to compare it to (generally speaking, the iPod Touch is "one generation" of processor behind the iPhone of the same nominally release date, so the iPhone released in the same time frame as your iPod Touch would likely have a faster processor, etc). If you have used any newer iPhone or iPod Touch, then your "older" iPod Touch will seem slow by comparison. This can be true even if the old device has not actually slowed down.

This same phenomenon happens with computers.

I know this first hand...my 3rd generation iPod Touch seems GLACIAL compared to my iPhone 4S.

2) Generally speaking OS updates tend to slow older devices down. It might be due the new OS have more "overhead" due to new features, etc. It can also be due to the new OS not necessarily being tweaked/optimized for older hardware.

Then there is also that new versions of apps tend to become bloated. In particular, with the advent of the "Retina" display, most apps might end up with more intensive graphics to deal with even if they essentially display the same thing they did before. But, they also get new features & functions that might cause more "overhead"...even if you don't really use those features & functions.

Overall, I can say that to some degree Apple does have some "incentive" to potentially make your life difficult in the hopes that you will go out and buy a new version. After all, if you do, then it is more revenue and profit for them. Now, I don't know if they deliberately do something like that...but I can certainly see how they may not go out of their way to try to have OS (and app updates if at all possible...but that is kind of out of their hands) be speedy on old devices.

But, then this is an issue with ANY similar tech device. Older computers start to feel slower than they are, especially if you can use on occasion a newer, faster computer.

My best advice is to think long and hard about OS and app updates on older devices. Odds are they might slow it down a bit. Thus, you may find that sticking with the older OS and/or version of apps might be better...at least in terms of speed. This might mean giving up some features in order to keep some of that speed. But, even if you did that, they would still feel slow compared to newer devices. Unfortunately, this advice won't do you much good if you have already upgrade the OS as Apple does not generally provide a way to downgrade.

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Apple has no incentive to phase out the iPod 4th gen, it is still being sold. The 4th and 5th are being sold side by side.

Also, are you jailbroken, (probably not but just checking).

Try holding down the power and home button till it resets. This is what I do when mine gets slow. Technically, you're supposed to do this monthly as the genius bar employees say, but nobody really does it till they have a problem.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#6 beeej

beeej

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Not sure about that "it feels slower because it is older" thing.  My son and my daughter both have identical iPod Touches 4th G.  My son's is fine.  My daughter's hangs and slows down.  My son uses his mostly for games.  My daughter, mostly for music.  Reset doesn't help.  I read that backing up to iTunes and 'restoring' is an idea.  I haven't tried that yet.  We haven't upgraded OS's or jailbroken anything.  I'm here looking for suggestions like you, Tom.

Wish us luck.  Thanks for the comments.

B-

#7 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Updating is highly recommended if you have not done it as well.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#8 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

I updated my Ipod touch 4th gen to version 6.2 very fast now

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

I cannot send iMessages.
iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6

If the Moderators don't/can't split your post off to its own thread, you should create a new thread of your own for this issue. Right now, it is "buried" in this thread where many folks may no see it and thus not be in a position to try to help.

Now, as to your issue, do you have iMessages "turn on"? I forget if you can turn it on/off on an iPod Touch (I am looking at an iPhone), but if you can, it will be in the Settings app under iMessage. You will also need to check that you have an Apple ID setup for use with iMessage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users