Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super slow startup and performances even in safe mode after unexpected shutdown

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 nosdesign

nosdesign

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hello my name is Jorge and this is my first post here, hope to find help and solutions from you.
First of all sorry for my bad english, I speak spanish, so try to use "easy" terms or words :P
Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

I'm trying right now to install everest to complete my profile, so as soon as possible my profile will be updated.

EDIT: Profile updated, I think with the correct info

A few days ago I was working a lot with my PC until the whole city lost energy, or light, don't know how is the word for this.
I was using two video editing programms, firefox or chrome, itunes and photoshop.

Yesterday I was able to turn it on again but the PC is unusable.
It is extremely slow, like 5 minutes to boot, 30 minutes to login, and once loged in any action or click takes 1 or more minutes to happen. Even in safe mode, the performance is better but not really good.
Then like 30 minutes or more to turn off.

I see a black screen with the cursor for a lot of time after choosing my user at login screen

Once at the desktop I have an error windows that says: slui.exe This application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000006)
I went to system32 folder and there is a slui.exe file

Steam lauchs automatic, but I have an error windows too that is not able to load

My Chrome profile seems corrupted, if I open chrome I have an error saying something like that

I dont know if There is something else I noticed that I am missing to write here.

Till now I tried:
sfc /scannow, some fixes some otger thing that couldn't fix
a check disk that seems to be ok
a registry clean with Reginout that fixed a lot of bad things
I used HDD Regenerator that repaired 100 blocks
went to a previous point of restauration
Scan for viruses with avast
press F8 at boot and choose repair computer - repair start (or something like that)

Some advices I read that I didn't do yet:
uninstall windows security essentials in safe mode
uninstall and then install again graphic drivers
do a check disk in safe mode
use a windows installarion disk and choose reinstall (this will not erease my programms or personal files, right?)

Note:
I have ubuntu in the same disk but other partition, ubuntu is working perfect so I don't think is a disk problem. My PC was working absolutly perfect before this incident, never had a problem. So I think is something with the software. I really don't want to reformat :(

You can ask anything. I hope we could fix this.
Thanks in advance!

Edited by nosdesign, 09 April 2013 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

You say that you ran chkdsk...did you run the chkdsk /r command?

One of the more common causes of file damage is an unexpected power loss on the system.  Running the chkdsk /r command may be able to overcome this.

Louis

#3 nosdesign

nosdesign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hello Louis, thanks for your time.
Yes a tried /r and /f commands, nothing seems to get better

Right now I was tryingtodo a repair install, but the process stopped at 63% "Transfering files..." (last step)
It's not frozen, the mouse is usable, and if I press Esc I see the message "Setup cannot be canceled at ths point. Doing so could leave your computer in a potentially unusable state."
But it is like this for 4 hours I think.

It's really that dangerous stopping this process right now?
Perhaps I can run the repair install all over again.

Thanks for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

My experience is that...attempting to stop an install effort...will just result in having to delete everything and begin anew with a clean install.  I've never seen any provision for canceling any Windows install once it has begun to transfer files.

I suggest that you assume the worst...and move any valued data files from your Windows install to your Ubuntu install or other storage media...first.

Then you will be able to try to troubleshoot with relative safety of your data files.  Anytime something happens to a system, you should be prepared to lose all installed programs, that's why backing up is such a basic concept re owning/using a computer.

If I had to guess (and...it's just a guess)...I'd have to say that

It seems that slui message relates to Windows activation.  Do you have a valid license for the version installed?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 nosdesign

nosdesign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hello Louis, I'm going to be honest, no I didn't buy windows 7.
Here in my country dollars cost 8 times their price, so if I want to purchase tha software I have to spend the price of 3 good refrigerators for example. My salary is $3000 and Windows costs $1300/$1800 aprox.

I know this shouldn't be an excuse, I should buy original things, but I hope that you will not stop helping me because of the fact that I have not got a valid license

Right now I will wait more time to see if the repair install finishes.
I did read some articles that said this repair installation on 64 bit sistems may last like 16 hours or a day...

I will wait until tomorrow.

Thank you for your time.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm sorry...but I won't be able to assist you with an illegal install of Windows.

In the first place...I have no idea how to get around the activation error that comes up.  Microsoft devised that particular mechanism and I'm certainly not on a par with anyone employed by MS in a professional mode.

Pirating of software is clearly a violation of BC rules.  You can read those for yourself, as can any other member, and I certainly wish that every member would take the time to do so.  No argument/justification of such violations...can be made here nor could such ever stand the test of logical procedure.  Anyone can rationalize stealing or any other violation of accepted behavior...happens every day, every time that someone wants something that he/she wants violate a rule or expected levels of human behavior.

Excerpt from the rules.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

On the other hand...your system reflects classical signs of infection, IMO.  Although I'm a novice, I have learned a few things during my time here at BC and other websites.

Because it may be infected...and owing to the wishes of the website owner...BC makes every effort to clean systems which are infected.  The personnel in Malware Removal Logs forum are not necessarily bound by the forum rules under which I and others perform our duties.

I suggest that you follow Steps 6-10 at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and submit the requested logs for review in that forum.  If possible, the personnel there will try to allleviate any malware situation found on your system.