Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop.ini

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FreakAccident

FreakAccident

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi I am getting a desktop.ini file on startup... right after bitdefender told me there was a trojan that entered.

Sould I be scared? I read only that this can result from a virus, so I would like to ask this forum for help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Where do you see desktop.ini?

Have you recently set hidden files and folders to show and unchecked Hide protected operating system files? This will cause desktop.ini to show on the desktop if that is where you see it.

Please check those 2 settings. Just in case:

Click Computer icon on your desktop or in the Start Menu.

When Windows Explorer opens click Tools/Folder Options/View.

Under Advanced Settings make sure Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives is checked.

Next make sure Hide protected operating system files (recommended) is checked.

Click APPLY.

This is a possible explanation for why it appears. If you want to make sure you are not infected someone will help you with that.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 April 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#3 FreakAccident

FreakAccident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Unfortunately both those settings were checked... :(

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thank you for checking. I'll make sure your post is seen by someone who can help you with the malware aspect.

#5 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Good evening. :)

Can you clarify the following - "I am getting a desktop.ini file on startup"?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#6 FreakAccident

FreakAccident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Good evening! 

Yes, I am getting a desktop.ini file on startup. I login, and bam, the file opens up, saying theres some system error in a notepad file.

"LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787"

Edited by FreakAccident, 09 April 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#7 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Can you tell me what operating system you have?

#8 FreakAccident

FreakAccident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

update:

I looked online and I found a solution... The desktop.ini file was in my startup folder, and once I deleted it it no longer appeared.

I also don't have any viruses coming up in my bitdefender scan, and the logs told me the trojan was immediately deleted and removed.

On the safe side though, I hope you can answer me this: Is desktop.ini a virus? (or at least, does it appear on your desktop because of a virus? Or just some other failure with windows?)

I run the windows 7 operating system (64 bit) 

#9 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Without further information I can't say whether your PC is infected or not, so if you are at all concerned I suggest that you follow the instructions here and start a new thread in that part of the forum where somebody will be better able to help.

As to the desktop.ini file, I have two on my desktop, which are visible to me because I set system and hidden files to be visible - I like to see what's there in all it's glory (you can read a little more about these files here). There are a couple of ways in which you can make files like these visible and if they suddenly appear without you making changes it's possible that either your PC "had a moment" or something tweaked settings, either intentionally or by accident.

If this is the case and you can see these files, we can have a quick look into it to see if it is something that is simple to deal with, if you wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users