Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double-click constantly displays properties

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lordshell

lordshell

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hello

I just cleaned underneath the keys of my inspiron 1525 laptop because my stepchildren enjoyed getting sticky substances underneath the keys and I wanted my wife to have better functionality.  I didn't pull up all the keys and used alcohol, pipe-cleaners and q-tips to clean.  After letting it dry a while, I started it up and everything seemed to work fine.  Then I noticed that when I double-clicked on desktop icons, it displayed the 'properties' menu instead of opening.

I figured the ALT key was stuck so I took it off and examined it.  It appeared fine but no matter what I seem to do, this continues.  I've tried to follow some online instructions to disable hotkeys but it still continues.  I assumed it was the ALT key but perhaps I'm mistaken. 

Any advice and/or methodology would be greatly appreciated.

Whoa!  It's worse than I thought!  I went onto a browser and apparently I can't type at all!  What the hell?  The keyboard reacts but not by typing letters, it's as if it's all hotkeys now!

ARRRRGH!

Help . . . please . . . ?

Tried restarting in safe mode and problem persists.  Only thing I can figure is that one or more of the keys are jammed.  Wish I could figure out which one.  Otherwise, I'll have to take off half the damn keyboard.  It doesn't SEEM to be the ALT key since I can still do CRTL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager.  Anyone have any ideas which one might be sticking?

Edited by lordshell, 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lordshell

lordshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

At wit's end.

Edited by lordshell, 09 April 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi lordshell

Most probably you need to replace the keyboard. Laptop keyboards are hard to repair and won't last long if you managed to repair.

#4 lordshell

lordshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I was very careful and didn't turn it on after the alcohol swab for a good while.  Plus, I only took off about a half-dozen keys.  Plus, the keys react when I try to type, but they act as if I'm pushing a hotkey.

Other than total failure, the only thing I can think might have happened is when I put the alcohol-coated pipe-cleaners underneath some of the keys, one got stuck.  Unfortunately that means I'll have to take off roughly half the damn keys to check and clean.  Exactly what I didn't want to do.

Assuming I have to replace the keyboard, any ballpark on what I'll be paying?  I hate spending too much on such an old laptop.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

You can give a try if you wish. Since it is already faulty it won't hurt to try a repair.

First you should take a clear close picture of your keyboard with a good digital cam. You have to draw the key layout in a white paper if you don't have a camera.

Pop out every key carefully and store in a safe place. Let the keyboard dry by placing it in sun light.

Refit the keys by referring the picture and\or drawing. 

#6 lordshell

lordshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yay!

I went through about half the keyboard with any keys near the ones I'd already cleaned.  Must have been a stuck key because after it dried and I started it up it worked like a charm.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users