Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access c drive on laptop - suspected virus but nothing found

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 hollywod

hollywod

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hello - I am a newbie here with limited knowledge re. PC's so would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

I believe my laptop has a virus, as a few days ago when I plugged in the usb lead from my camera to upload the photos, the laptop has stopped recognising that the camera is attached. It has always worked fine but now with the usb plugged in it doesn’t recognise it at all i.e. in my computer the camera is not showing.

Also then I noticed the SD card reader has stopped working in a similar way i.e. it does not recognise it is plugged in.

When windows (Windows 7) opens a grey message box pops up and says “error has occurred”. Google chrome has stopped working.

I also cannot get into the C drive. When I double click it says “access denied”.  As there is a problem with the C drive I can’t save anything to the PC.

When opening the laptop in safe mode I can access the C drive and everything seems to work as per normal (but I cannot open things like Word which I assume is normal in safe mode). In safe mode I can pick up the photos and take them onto a memory stick, but when the windows starts normally it won’t let me do this…it seems that nothing on the C drive can be accessed.

I have run Kaspersky security which didn’t find a virus, also Avast (free version) which didn’t find anything. Finally also Malawarebytes came back with no infections.

A friends husband has suggested using combofix, but I see off the guide it states this must only be done via a helper on this site, hence why I have now joined. I look forward to any help you can offer me.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

You should try TDSSKIller --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/

#3 hollywod

hollywod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hi thanks for this but it has not done anything...ran TDSSKiller and it scanned 474 objects with no threats.

Also I tried to uninstall Kaspersky off the laptop which could not complete as said it could access some files (sorry did not write down exact message). I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not but now I cannot log onto the internet anymore. The laptop shows an internet connection but Internet Explorer no longer works unless the laptop is in safe mode.

Could anyone advise of anything else to try please?

Cheers

#4 hollywod

hollywod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

I have now moved this post to the log section with dss and attach file

Thanks

#5 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

User posted here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491333/cannot-access-c-drive-or-access-internet/?p=3027407 and is being helped by Oh My!
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users