Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after Windows logo

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Every time I turn on my computer I get a hanging black screen and sometimes the BSOD. Just now I turned it on, waited for the black screen for some time, then pressed ctrl alt del and got a bsod some 15secs after that. Now it has performed the startup repair, the problem details are as follows:

problem event name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:unknown

Problem Signature 04: 14

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: 0XF4

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

It says that the Startup Repair cannot repair the computer automatically. Help really appreciated.

Oh, and I can turn it on in safe mode. EDIT: It appears that I cannot get into safe mode either, although previously I could have. I get the BSOD even when I try to boot in safe mode. The last file it tries to load in safe mode is avgidshx.sys then I get a black screen. OMG i got to the welcome screen just now (safe mode with command prompt).

Edited by marija_peg, 09 April 2013 - 03:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

In Safe Mode with Command Prompt type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

Edited by dc3, 09 April 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thank you for your response! What I get is the following - Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, with verification going up to 19%.

Also, first time I tried to boot in safe mode with command prompt, it didn't work, I got a BSOD again. Than I tried Safe mode, and it worked. It seems that it sometimes can get into safe mode, sometimes not. What to do next?

Another thing, I get a message that Windows Security Center is turned off, when I try to turn it on, it says it cannot be started.

Edited by marija_peg, 09 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#4 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

I ran a sfc /VERIFYONLY scan and the verification finished. It says that Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations and that details are included in the CBS.log. Is there a way maybe to extract the data from this scan particularly because the log is quite quite long and contains other info?

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi

Since SFC reported corrupted files you should run a surface scan of your HDD with manufacturer's tools.

For Western Digital drives use WD lifeguard diagnostics : http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=610&sid=2&lang=en

For Seagate and Samsung use seatools for DOS : http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

If you don't find any bad sectors during surface scan boot from Win 7 DVD and perform a check disk on your C drive. To do that open a command prompt from boot DVD by following this guide :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

Usually you CD drive will be mounted as "D" in CD due to the first hidden system partition. You can verify the drive letter by navigating using command prompt. Assuming C is mounted as D, you should enter "CHKDSK D: /R" to perform check disk.

After check disk finishes a system file check can be performed. To do that enter the following command :

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\  /offwindir=d:\windows

To know more about offline SFC scan refer the link - http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

Post back the results.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

In my last post I suggested running  sfc /scannow , not  sfc /VERIFYONLY.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Edited by dc3, 10 April 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

<<Since SFC reported corrupted files you should run a surface scan of your HDD with manufacturer's tools.>>

Well...a hard drive diagnostic is a good idea...but not yet and not for the seeming reason stated. 

The only tools which will attempt to repair damaged files...are Windows tools.  The chkdsk /r command and the sfc /scannow command previously suggested address the status of Windows files.

No hard drive diagnostic is guaranteed to do so, since these are designed to assess fhe functional state of the hard drive and may attempt to repair/correct problems on the hard drive...without any consideration at all to the files residing on the hard drive.  This could result in unnecessary data loss for the user.

Louis

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi hamluis

WD lifeguard diagnostics is a testing tool only. It won't repair any bad sectors even if it found it on a WD HDD. Seatools for DOS is the only tool which can repair bad sectors if found on a Seagate HDD (Well, actually remapping) but it won't do that without user's confirmation. Seatools supports testing other manufacturer's HDD too.

The very first basic routine i use in troubleshooting boot problems is verify the condition of hardware first. I will swap out the memory with a known good RAM first and then run a surface test on the HDD. Attempting to repair OS on a HDD with bad sectors may damage both HDD and  data on it. Trying to repair software for a hardware problem is waste of time. Only after HDD and RAM passed the tests i will examine OS for faults.

I use Seatools for DOS regularly and it never caused an HDD to failed but it saved me several time by identifying HDD as the faulty component. It is the best and reliable tool to test HDD of all manufacturers.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 April 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#9 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

OK, so what should I do in the end?

I tried that, but it got stuck at 19%, which I already said:

"What I get is the following - Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, with verification going up to 19%."

So what should I do now?

Edited by marija_peg, 12 April 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#10 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

OK, so what should I do in the end?

I tried that, but it got stuck at 19%, which I already said:

"What I get is the following - Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, with verification going up to 19%."

So what should I do now?

There are multiple causes of that particular message. Basically, it means that SFC encountered a corruption at 19% which it not only cannot deal with, but cannot progress onwards from. The most common cause is a missing store directory, but there are also hundreds of other possible causes.

If you have yet run chkdsk, missing store directory is particularly likely to be the cause. When chkdsk encounters bad blocks and is unable to recover the file/directory contents (or maybe it does recover some to a fragment file), for various technical reasons I won't go into, it is likely to end up deleting the whole directory --> missing store directory --> this problem.

But...even though this is the likely cause, we still don't know it to be the cause. It is diagnosed for sure from CBS.log also. Ideally, I would like you to somehow get me the whole logfile, copy it to a memory stick, right click on it > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder, upload it to somewhere like Skydrive, perhaps from another computer if necessary, whatever it takes.

Please don't generate a sfcdetails.txt file (a shortened version of CBS.log). It doesn't contain the necessary information to diagnose your 19% issue. I will use your whole CBS logfile as is if possible. If not possible, I will send you a special command to get all useful information relevant to this problem out of CBS.log.

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#11 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I have run chkdsk, it ran on startup. Now I tried sfc scannow again, verification was 100%complete, however, the next message was again, Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. I will send you the CBS.log. Thank you :)

#12 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

I have run chkdsk, it ran on startup. Now I tried sfc scannow again, verification was 100%complete, however, the next message was again, Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. I will send you the CBS.log. Thank you :)

No problem :)

Just a question: Are you able to boot this computer at the moment? Into normal mode? Into Safe Mode only?

Just so I know where I stand.

Thank you!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#13 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hello again :)

I have just taken a look over the CBS logfile. You do not have any missing directories at this time, but you do have other issues instead.

You currently have 16 unrepairable corruptions (where no replacement file exists on the computer, store is corrupt). SFC will not be able to fix these errors, no matter what arguments you specify or how many times you run it. I could easily fix these for you manually though, should it become appropriate, they do not overly concern me.

But the problem is, we must ask the question "why". Why did they become corrupt in the first place?

Well, there are other clues in CBS.log. These are the causes of the SFC failures, several of your other problems, and explain why it is so sporadic:

File read errors, and lots of them, with error codes 0xD0000185 (STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR) and 0xD00000B5 (STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT)

Both are highly indicative of hardware failure, particularly hard disk failure. This coupled with your other corrupt files is pretty strong evidence already, and we haven't even run any diagnostics yet!

By the looks of things, we have a dying hard disk on our hands here. You are running on somewhat borrowed time at the moment, and for this reason, your primary concern is to backup any data you haven't already. The more we play around, the more likely we are to push this hard disk over the edge to possible sudden death. It may be gradual, it may be sudden, but at the moment, the primary concern is to stop all diagnostics, and get the data off.

Then we can run a few more diagnostics to make as sure as we can be it actually is dying, and then we are going to have to talk about replacement :( I know this won't be want you want to hear, but this sort of hardware failure isn't fixable :(

Anyway, I hope some of the others here will chip in and help out at this time. I am not a hardware expert, and in fact know very little about the subject. I specialize in Windows Update/SFC/CBS.log etc, not really hardware.

But even I can see where this is going :(

Richard

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

You didn't answer whether you can boot in either normal or safe modes.

Edited by dc3, 12 April 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#15 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I can boot in safe mode, and I was able to boot into normal mode yesterday (didn't try it later on) but the computer is rather slow. I will try now once again. Also, can you tell me what could be the reason for HDD failure? My laptop is 1,5years old. :/

It booted normally, even the welcome screen didn't hang as usual..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users