Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run-time error '372'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaxM

MaxM

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi to all, I've been on this forum quite a few times in the past, and always found solutions from searching through archived topics. This time I need direct help since I've done everything I could. Although this error was discussed here before I have not found a solution that worked on the computer I'm working on. Also in my case the error is most likely due to my tempering with windows settings, and not malware or a virus. Although there was plenty of malware on the computer. I started the day with installing 2gb of RAM on a machine that only had 0.5, that helped a little with the sluggishness and allowed me to do some cleaning. I uninstalled a bunch of toolbars and search engines, then disabled quite a few services. Tried to uninstall Windows Live via 'Add-Remove Porgrams' then manually, somewhere in the process I tried to access IE and discovered I was unable to do so. Ran all the RKill software, still no luck. Good thing I had all that downloaded weeks before. I also started noticing other odd things, most programs on  the desktop would not start with double-clicking only with right click/open. Folders and files opened normally. Microsoft Word launched, but MS Paint does not. IE window would either appear for 2-3 seconds then close by itself, or freeze up. I would attempt to close IE with Alt Ctrl Del, a few dumprep.exe's would automatically use up all CPU. Then I tried running Malware Bytes which was also previously installed, again it would only attempt to run with right click/open. It would give me a veriety of error prompts, and would not run, here they are.

'Run-time error '372: Failed to load control 'WebBrowser' from ieframe.dll etc..........
'Run-time error '372: Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx etc..........

one thing that might be a clue, all Rkill runs at the moment are showing this, but no malware

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* RpcSs => %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss [Incorrect ImagePath]

this never came up on this machine before

I was also able to run ComboFix, but was unable to update it.

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaxM

MaxM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

forgot to mention, TDSSKiller also worked, but it discovered nothing, I'm making this post from another computer, I have no access to internet on the machine with the problem above. But thankfullly the flash drive still works.

I tried restoring windows to 4 different restore points, with no success, the process follows through, reboots but then I get a message that the system was unable to restore.

#3 MaxM

MaxM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Just saw the announcement, no reports allowed, sorry about that, I edited the original post.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Download LNK fix here

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

Extract and launch registry key and click YES

Restart the PC and launch mbam.exe from its installation folder which is c:\programfiles\malwarebytes

Malwarebytes will launch now.Let me know what other issues you have

#5 MaxM

MaxM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

thanks, I will try that tonight, the comp I'm working on most likely has no zip software, and since not everything runs and installs I would have to first overcome that obstacle, if Malwarebytes runs successfully do you need me to post the report?

#6 MaxM

MaxM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Download LNK fix here

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

Extract and launch registry key and click YES

Restart the PC and launch mbam.exe from its installation folder which is c:\programfiles\malwarebytes

Malwarebytes will launch now.Let me know what other issues you have

thank you, thank you! I followed your instructions and Malwarebytes launched, updated and ran successfully. Unfortunately still no IE. Quick scan found zero infected objects, now running full scan as I type. Double clicking now opens programs, MS Paint and other programs that did not run now work. Even IE attempts to run with a double click from desktop, but the window freezes up. Since MalwareBytes updated we have a connection, which was not there before. I tried to reinstall IE yesterday, and it failed to update.

This still shows up on Rkill logs, checked old logs again this never came up before.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* RpcSs => %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss [Incorrect ImagePath]

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

What RKILL shows is false positive.

Download update agent

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Save the download to your C drive

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce and then click OK,install WU agent

Restart the PC and try to install IE 8

#8 mejc

mejc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Same runtime 372 problem associated with no startmenu/some virus...

Downloaded http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip unto thumb drive from other computer.

Extracted on to sick laptop. Restarted as stated...

Had to go thru Taskmanager to get to MBytes. Used mbam-Chamelon dos command.

Still get the run-time error 372 pop up

Still cannot access start menu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users