Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Video - Laggy/choppy scrolling & browsing after messing with drivers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hello all. I have an older system that has been working flawlessly until I started messing with drivers last night.

System specs:

Asus K8VSE Deluxe motherboard
AMD 3400+ processor
Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Sapphire X800 Pro video card
1.5 gigs ram
XP Home Edition

My monitor is a 19" (18" viewable) Viewsonic E90FB.

Forever, I have been running at 1024x768 resolution @ 90hz. I started researching on if any larger resolutions would work, and it turns out the suggested resolution for 18 and 19" CRT monitors is 1280x1024.

So, last night, I tried switching to 1280x1024. It switched to the new resolution, but something wasn't right. My desktop was in "virtual mode" where I had to scroll left/right/up/down to see the entire screen. So, I uninstalled my ATI drivers (I had the latest drivers but did not have catalyst control center installed) and then reinstalled from scratch after using add/remove programs to remove the drivers, also using the ATI uninstall utility in add/remove programs.

So I installed the new drivers - 1280x1024 resolution worked PROPERLY, but, all of a sudden, moving a window around the desktop AND browsing the internet provided extremely laggy/choppy scrolling! Just as if you don't have the driver's installed. Also, I wasn't able to change the refresh rate out of 60hz.

So, fast forward a day and many, many hours of TRYING to tinker with my system. I have installed/uninstalled ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Center about a dozen times, trying different combinations.

It turns out that apparently I do need Catalyst Control Center to be installed FIRST so that I can "unlock" the refresh rate, before uninstalling Catalyst Control Center. So I was able to achieve the proper refresh rate, BUT I was still having the terrible laggy/choppy scrolling and internet browsing! (still am, right now - ugh!)

So I started thinking - what about monitor drivers?

FOREVER - my monitor has been FINE using the "Default Monitor" driver provided by XP from 2001. So, I doubt this is the problem. However, I tinkered with this. I tried using the othed default "Plug And Play" monitor driver provided by XP; nope, doesn't change anything.

I also tried using the unsigned Viewsonic E90FB drivers; nope, doesn't matter. They only appear to be a color profile, anyway. The Viewsonic signed drivers said they couldn't detect my monitor, so I never tried the signed drivers.

What the heck did I do? I just want to go back to 1024x768 @ 90hz with smooth scrolling and just forget about the whole thing (unfortunately, I have system restore disabled!)

Is there some sort of a driver/registry problem going on? Ultimately I WOULD like to try 1280x1024 @ 75hz if I could, but I'd totally be fine going back to where I started at 1024x768 @90hz if it meant I could browse smoothly once again and drag windows without lag.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

I just spend about 20 minutes going through the entire registry as well as all of Windows looking for every ATI entry and deleting them all (I did not touch the AMD entrys as this involves my Processor most likely) and it made no difference.  I reinstalled the drivers once more after rebooting, and I'm still stuck at 60hz with laggy scrolling and window dragging.

I did not install catalyst control center - I'm thinking that I shouldn't NEED catalyst control center in order to "unlock" the standard refresh rates that my monitor has available?

Also I think the refresh rame is not primarily to blame for the laggy scrolling.  I have used 60hz before and didn't encounter such problems......it's simply the refresh rate of the monitor and doesn't have anything else to do with Windows and the graphics drawing speed.

Edited by Blaine B., 09 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Try going into Device Manager...uninstall the video drivers...reboot...reinstall video drivers from Drivers CD.

If you have two entries for video adpaters (indicating dual-monitor support) please be sure to uninstall the drivers for each.

Louis

#4 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Already tried that.  Uninstalled via add/remove programs, uninstalled via device manager, went into the bios and removed all entrees, searched my entire C drive for anything ATI related...

Still laggy.

I am using the same ATI drivers as I was before all of this mess.

Is this a conflict with monitor drivers?  Why can't I change refresh rate without catalyst control center?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

There is absolutely nothing in the BiOS...that you had reason to change at all.  I have no idea what you did, but I suspect that it made things worse, not better.

Monitor drivers...are usually installed by Windows.  I've not ever heard of a "conflict" between video drivers and monitor drivers.

<<Why can't I change refresh rate without catalyst control center?>>

Please...elaborate on what you did, error messages which appeared, etc.  I've used ATI chipsets for eons, with and without CCC installed...never noticed any difficulty changing refresh rate or any other setting.  Your video drivers enable such changes.

Louis

#6 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Sorry my mistake......I meant to say REGISTRY and not BIOS.

I am not getting any error messages when I try to change the refresh rate.  It just simply doesn't change.

In order to change refresh rate I have to install catalyst control manager and then un-check the option where it checks with the monitor to see what refresh rates it can use.  It's like, somehow, even though catalyst control center isn't installed it is still limiting my ability to change refresh rate.

ALSO I have another problem I just noticed.  I am running without a display driver right now, and basically nothing is different.  I am 99% sure this is a problem with the display driver.  I am still running at 1024x768 @ 60hz and everything looks identicle to when I had the ATI drivers installed.

I am in my system32 and system32/drivers folder.  When deleting the ATI files, after a few seconds they all reappear!  I cannot delete them.  I empty the recycle bin, but it doesn't matter....the files pop back up!  What the heck is this?

#7 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Well, I remembered the Omega drivers that were available to users of ATI cards:

Once again, I uninstalled the ATI driver and catalyst control center.  I then installed the latest Omega drivers.

Everything is fine.  I can run at 1280x1024 at 75 hz (or any resolution) and I have ultra-smooth browsing, scrolling, and window dragging.

What the heck happened with the ATI drivers?  I was using them previously and everything was FINE (except the issue with the larger resolutions not displaying on the screen properly)

Apparently Omega uses "older" ATI files, as during the driver installation, Windows was asking me if it was "OK" to overwrite the "newer" files with these "older" files.

I'm just glad everything works again.  I don't understand what the deal was with the laggy scrolling.  It doesn't make any sense.

#8 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Well, I did an expirament.  I uninstalled the omega drivers (that had everything working properly) and reinstalled the ATI drivers - nope, back to the same thing, laggy and cannot set refresh rate without catalyst control center.

So I uninstalled the ATI drivers a final time, and reinstalled the Omega drivers.  EXCEPT THIS TIME IT'S BACK TO LAGGING!  I can set the refresh rate NO PROBLEM with the Omega drivers, but my browsing, scrolling, and dragging windows is absolutely as laggy as it was when using the ATI drivers.

What does this mean?

It seems that the "initial" installation of any driver works, but once I uninstall and reinstall, this problem occurs.  I removed every ATI entry in the registry that I could find.  What is going on?  Where are the old files hiding?  What's up with the Omega drivers working the first time, but the second time I get this lag after uninstalling/reinstalling?

Edited by Blaine B., 09 April 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#9 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well, I've been tinkering with this all day....day 2......no changes.

While having the Omega driver installed, I attempted to "update the driver" from the device manager.

It installed some older ATI X800 Pro driver, and upon restart the LAG is gone when browsing or dragging desktop windows.  This driver is from 2006, and I believe is included with one of the Windows XP service packs, as from my searches in Windows.

But I cannot set the refresh rate, it is stuck at 60hz even though a full list of refresh rates is available as i would first have to install the catalyst control center to do so, apparently.

What is going on?

I should be able to use the latest ATI or Omega driver and not get any lag, and be able to set the refresh rate.  Where is the conflict that is causing the lag when I install drivers more than once?

I'm going to leave this for now.  My eyes are bugging me, yes, due to the low refresh rate - but at least I can browse without an annoying choppy scroll.  This still isn't right.

#10 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

This problem is resolved. I messed around with the SMARTGART options in the ATI Catalyst Control center and the choppy/laggy scrolling and window dragging is gone. I'm runnin at 1280x1024 at 70hz on my CRT and everything is well.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for letting us know, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users