Hey there, I installed windows 8 a few months ago, but in the past month I've had a strange problem. Randomly and without warning, almost everything other than open programs and windows stops working.
Things that stop working:
1. Clicking icons on the desktop
2. Right-clicking on the desktop (the cursor just becomes the spinning circle forever)
3. All keyboard shortcuts; I can't even shut down or restart the computer in Windows.
Thing is, open programs and windows keep working just fine. This isn't ideal, though, because this stuff eventually freezes too, especially when the cursor becomes the spinning circle.
Things I've done to troubleshoot:
1. Disabled all non-Microsoft services other than firewall (Comodo), anti-virus (Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013) and anti-malware (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) through msconfig.
2. Disabled all add-ons in Web browser.
3. Run memtest+ for 7 passes (no errors).
4. Ensured motherboard drivers, bios, video card drivers are up to date.
5. Run anti-virus and anti-malware
6. I ran chkdsk and SeaTools about a month ago for another problem, there were no problems at the time.
Windows 8 64-bit
Intel i5-2500K, not overclocked
Asus P8-Z68VLX motherboard
Radeon 6850 video card
8 GB ram
Two Seagate Barracuda hard drives
Thanks for any help anyone can give!