Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 on top of Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 datastrain

datastrain

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

i have an old computer with Windows Vista on it (installed on a 2TB HDD), but when booting, it states it's missing parts of the OS, and to "insert my Vista CD" in order to fix the problem.  but I don't have the Vista CD, but I do have Windows 7 CD.

i installed Windows 7 on the other 250 GB HDD, but when i boot it up, it doesn't recognize the larger 2TB drive.

when i try to do the "restore" install, it wont do it - keeps looping on the prompt asking to restart / insert CD.

so my question...

how can i access the data on the 2TB CD?  can i do a fresh install of Windows 7 on that drive, without loosing the data on the drive?  i'm prompted with 2 options from windows 7 CD:

1. Upgrade (this is the one that doesn't work).

2. Clean /Fresh install.  it warns me that i will lose information, but doesn't prompt me to "format" the drive.  i understand i may lose files within the O/S (i.e., My Documents) - but i'm primarily concerned with files that are in folders on the main drive (i.e., C:/datastrain).

(i have a bunch of pictures and doc's that i really don't want to lose).

Edited by datastrain, 08 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

anybody?

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a license that does not apply to another system...to go with that Win 7 DVD?

<<i installed Windows 7 on the other 250 GB HDD, but when i boot it up, it doesn't recognize  the larger 2TB drive.>>......

If you are saying that you have two hard drives properly installed...yet your Win 7 install only sees one...there are hardware problems that need address.  Perhaps your Vista install is not the problem but your hard drive.

Louis

#4 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Louis,

I have a Dell Dimension E520.  

I have 1 copy of win 7 (original with licence).

Well... the Win 7 DVD did see the 2TB drive originally, because it prompted me with which one i wanted to install Windows 7 on (I chose the 250GB drive).  So I ended up with 2 O/S boot up options (Vista & 7).  When I chose the Vista bootup it gave the mentioned error.

I can change the Original Posted Question to: how can i get access to the data on my 2TB HDD with Windows Vista on it - from my Windows 7 computer?  Is it normal not to see it?  Different file structure or something?

Edited by datastrain, 10 April 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#5 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

notable mention: after choosing the "clean / fresh" install on the windows7 DVD on the 250GB hdd (the option that warns that your files will NOT be saved) I do see some old files in the root of C:.  

i guess that's a good sign!  (i just don't want to take a chance on the 2TB drive.)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

FWIW:  The Vista boot loader is the same as the Win 7 bootloarder.  So is the file system (NTFS).

If you installed Win 7 after Vista, with both drives connected...both hard drives should be visible within the Win 7 install.

From within your Win 7 install, with both drives attached...go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Post a screenshot of that, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot  - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#7 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Louis,

As soon as I assigned the hdd a drive letter within diskmgmt.msc, i was able to see it.  Got all my files - thanks very much!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

You did all the work, the credit is yours :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users