Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Installation Error OEMCD001

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alysak5473

alysak5473

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi,
I have a problem with installing windows 98SE so I need your guys' help. I am running a HP p6714y computer with a windows 7 operating system on it. My proccessor is an AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 Proccessor 3.00 GHz. I also have 4 gigabites of RAM. I wanted to install a second operating system on my computer which is windows 98. I didn't create a second partition though for the operating system. I inserted the CD disk and restarted windows a screen comes up with three options: one is for start windows with cd rom support, start windows without cd rom support and start windows 98 setup from CD ROM. I chose start windows 98 setup from CD ROM and it scans for a CD ROM called "OEMCD001" it says that it is not found and installation is aborted and it takes me to another screen which says "No Valid CDROM device drivers selected, Windows 98 setup files were not found" and it also says "A:\>" and you can type a command where that "A" letter is. The same thing also occurred when I chose the option "Start windows with CD ROM support". The other option "Start Windows without CD ROM support" just boots the computer normally. I need help to fix this problem. I don't have a lot experience so I need a step by step guid on how to fix this problem. Remember that I am also installing this from a CD.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Unfortunately you won't be able to install 98 on that machine. When 98 was written quad core processors were just a gleam in some engineer's eye. Furthermore, 98 can't handle any more than 512mb of ram if I recall correctly so with that amount of ram the installation will go nowhere.

Back in the day, you would generally boot a pc with a win 98 floppy bootdisk and when you came to A:\> you would type in setup.exe and the cd would take over and begin the install.

No doubt you have an sata cd-rom drive and hard drive as well and of course this was another technology that people were only dreaming of at the time so 98 will have no drivers for those, and thus the message  "No Valid CDROM device drivers selected, Windows 98 setup files were not found".

If you can find an old pc with a working floppy drive and up to 512mb of ram (98 will run fine on 64mb, I don't think I used more than 128mb ever), and IDE drives you can install 98 on that, although it sounds like you have a bootable 98 cd (there were some) so the floppy drive may not be needed.

Edited by Leurgy, 09 April 2013 - 11:55 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 BrianMac1964

BrianMac1964

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

One other possiblilty might be to run it as a virtual machine. VMWare Player is a free download: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads Using this you can schoose the amount of RAM to allocate as well as HD space.

#4 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

VirtualBox is another good one. You won't be able to install Windows 98 on a modern computer as none of the hardware we have today was available back then and won't be compatible.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

First thing you have to do is create a separate partition for Windows 98. You can do this either by installing another HDD, or by using "Partition Magic" to create a new partition in front of your existing "C" drive. It has to be in front of the currant "C" drive because Win98-SE requires certain of its files to be setup within the first Gig on the HDD.

If you install another HDD, then you must go into the bios to choose which HDD you want to be booting from each time you want to change your boot partition. If on the other hand you use Partition Magic to move your existing partition back somewhat on your HDD in order to create a Win98-SE partition in front of it, then you must also install "Boot Magic" which is another program that comes with Partition Magic that allows you to choose which OS to boot to during Windows startup.

Apart from that, if you type "unofficial service pack for windows 98se" into your search engine, you can find a program to download called "The Unofficial Service Pack" which will raise the RAM limit that Win98-SE can use to 4 Gigabytes, but it must be installed immediately after installing Windows, because it overwrites some newer files with older ones, so it is best to do all your other driver and software installs AFTER installing the "Unofficial Service Pack".. Re Hardware compatability, not sure there, I have built a number of socket 7 machines some of which had WinXP-PRO Win98-SE dualboots on them, but I have never tried to install Win98-SE on my newer machine.

Edited by JHMcG, 20 April 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Why do you want to install Windows 98SE on a computer that was running windows 7 ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users