Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my harddrive singing its death song?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 evergreen1

evergreen1

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

i used to keep a lot of web pages in  my F drive. for the last two days it is running bad. every time i logon windows goes for chekdsk f drive. it says there  is no bad sector and no problem. i scaned it with avg antivirus. avg says no problem. but windows doing chksdk  it everytime i open the computer. i am thinking of formatting this partition after copying all the important files on it. the 150 gb harddisk is about eight years old. pls suggest. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Try this...

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter

Reboot.  The command will execute before booting into Windows.

It may be necessary to repeat this...see how the system runs...if no improvement, repeat the steps posted.

Louis

#3 evergreen1

evergreen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Try this...

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter

Reboot.  The command will execute before booting into Windows.

It may be necessary to repeat this...see how the system runs...if no improvement, repeat the steps posted.

Louis

thanks for the reply. but out of curiosity i may ask. my issue was to avoid the chkdsk of my D Drive which is repeatedly done by windows when starting up. you are suggesting to do the same thing? that too for the entire harddisk?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

It is recommended to make sure that the entire disk is bad sector free or repair certain sectors and that is why Hamluis's suggestion required you to run /r as a safety precaution. It maybe a one time procedure if the drive is found healthy. Regarding the chkdsk schedule, see here if it helps http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160963

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users