Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade RAM in old Dell Optiplex

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Greetings everyone!

I just purchased (don't worry I didn't spend much money!) an old Dell Optiplex GX 240.

Yeah, I typed GX 240:lol:

I'm just going to use it to play around with. First thing I did was open the case and it was/is clean inside.

Powered it up, seemed to boot pretty quickly but first thing I noticed is that I think I could use some extra RAM.

I don't believe there have been any hardware changes on this thing and currently it looks like this:

XP Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium 4 CPU  1.70Ghz  with a whopping 256 MB of RAM.

Did some searching around the Net last night and it appears that this thing can't really handle/use more than 1GB of RAM anyway, but I'll assume it will make a difference, so...

I found this and was wondering if someone could tell me if they think it will work.

I'm always a little overwhelmed when I try to read the cpu-z results but if you think you need them I would be glad to post them or any other specs you might want and/or need.

I think this machine has two slots and I think the linked ebay item might work...but, I thought I'd ask the experts first.

As always I appreciate any and all feedback.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Winterland, before experimenting with anything on eBay, I highly recommend checking out the available RAM choices for your rig at Crucial.Com.  I, too, have an old Dell...the Optiplex Gx260.  Additional RAM was purchased at Crucial, install was easy and it made a big difference.

Rosie     

Edited by TulsaRose, 08 April 2013 - 06:07 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Thank you TulsaRose, I did have my doubts about the whole eBay thing as I've never purchased anything there before.

It's not as though I've heard any (recent) horror stories and lots of folks seem to use it without incident but I've also seen/read lots of good things about Crucial. Thanks for the link btw.

In an effort to keep my costs down I surfed over to eBay...but wasn't real excited about buying my RAM there.

I'll let you know how it plays out.

Again, thanks for the feedback and taking the time.

Winterland

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Good morning TulsaRose (and everyone else stopping by).

Wanted to let you know that it all worked out pretty well.

Found the RAM I needed over at Amazon for less than $10 bucks a stick from a Seller that had been around awhile and had great reviews (thousands of them), so I bought two sticks of 512MB PC133.

The invoice that came with my memory also reminded me (no pun intended) to make sure my bios was updated to the latest version, so I surfed over to the Dell website to find out what was the latest version (turned out to be A05) and I confirmed I was updated by looking at the BIOS specs on the Mainboard tab of the CPU-Z app, which always overwhelms me with the amount of information presented but I'm *sorta* starting to understand some of it.

So, off I went.

Popped the hood on the old Dell Optiplex GX240, made sure I was grounded and then popped the old sticks out, popped the new ones in and *viola* booted it back up. It gave me the standard "Alert! The cover was previously removed" and also the "new hardware has been detected" or some variant of all that but then...splash screen and then I logged in.

Talk about a difference! I went from 256MB to 1GB and now I am out and about surfing the net and posting on Bleeping with the best of them. There is still the occasional lag/delay but that's too be expected with a machine this old but it's been a fun experience and hasn't cost me much at all.

I saw The Patriot post somewhere the other day that the best way to learn is to grab some old beat up computers and have at 'em and I think that's the path I'm on now.

So, just wanted to let you know that it worked out and how it worked out as well.

onward,

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users