Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shopathome.com Toolbar Removal?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coprimadonna

coprimadonna

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello,

I recently downloaded the shopathome.com toolbar and quickly learned it was a nuisance. Although I followed instructions on removing it... it is still haunting me. It seems I have succesfully removed the toolbar, but whenever I search for anything via Google or Yahoo... I see it rearing its ugly head in my tabs and a *quick* screen shot of it before it goes back to Yahoo's results on my search. MBAM nor SAS is picking it up, so I'm wondering if it's harmful or just a nuisance? Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows XP. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

This sounds like a bad toolbar to mess with.  I don't know much about it, but I did find some links on the subject on Google (if you haven't seen them yet):

http://www.ehow.com/how_7274753_remove-shopathome-toolbar.html

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/remove-shop-at-home-toolbar/189176.html

You could install Revo then reinstall the bar and use Revo to get rid of all of the toolbar.  Revo worked in post 2 here:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/remove-shop-at-home-toolbar/189176.html

Good luck...

Edited by UpgradeMe, 08 April 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#3 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

If these instructions fail, try Adwcleaner --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 08 April 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#4 MomOf1OfEach

MomOf1OfEach

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

It's not dangerous but please refrain from using any "cleaners" to remove it.  The results will be unpredictable and far more of a "nuisance" that the toolbar iteself.  While the instructions on their site should work they sometimes don't, but ShopAtHome.com's customer service has more detailed instructions for those that are having trouble removing it.  Contact them right away: service@shopathome.com.  I'm sure they can help.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

This post was added by a person who claimes to be Customer Service Manager for their company.
(QUOTE)
I’d like to help you with uninstalling the ShopAtHome.com toolbar and removing our software from your computer.
There are different directions based on what browser you are running. 

Please follow the directions below for the appropriate browser.

For Windows Users:
To uninstall the Toolbar, go to your Windows Control Panel. Next, click on "Add/Remove Programs". Our Toolbar is listed as ShopAtHome.com Toolbar or SelectRebates. Click on the appropriate name, then click on Change/Remove. With the "SelectRebates" version, you will see a box which gives you a choice of uninstalling both the Toolbar and SelectRebates software, or only the Toolbar. (Please note that if you uninstall the SelectRebates Software, the Toolbar is also removed.) Make your selection to uninstall only the Toolbar; or both the SelectRebates Software and Toolbar, and click "ok." With the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar you will not see any box, the software will simply go through the uninstall process and remove the necessary files.

The Toolbar and/or Software are removed after you reboot your computer.

For Mac Firefox Users:
From the ‘Tools' menu, choose ‘Add-ons.' Click on ‘ShopAtHome.com Intelligent Shopping Toolbar' and then the ‘Uninstall' button. Restart Firefox to complete. Removal of the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar will remove all ShopAtHome.com software.

For Chrome Users:
1 ) Right-click on the toolbar icon
2 ) Click Uninstall
3 ) On popup window, click 'Uninstall' button
4 ) Restart browser (optional)

Another way to uninstall the software is to go to http://www.shopathome.com/ManualRemove.aspx and follow the directions posted there.
We want to make sure you are able to successfully uninstall the Toolbar and remove the software from your system.  If you encounter difficulties, please email our Customer Service department at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** or fill out a service inquiry form here: www.ShopAtHome.com/contact.aspx. Please note that third party spyware removal programs, such as Norton or McAfee, do not completely remove the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar, and we strongly advise against using these programs to remove our Software.

Axxxxxxxx
Customer Service Manager
ShopAtHome.com
(END QUOTE)

#6 coprimadonna

coprimadonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. I'd already tried all your suggestions prior to coming here... I was hoping to find further instructions and surprised no one else has complained of this nuisance. The program is not in my control panel, therefore can not be removed. Sure, it was easy to remove the toolbar temporarily, however, it still shows signs of it "living" in my PC.

UpgradeMe: Haven't heard of Revo... that's a new one. I may give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes - hopefully to help anyone else if they read this thread. :)

Thanks again to everyone for their time in responding!

#7 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Revo is a popular uninstaller program.  Another is Comodo Programs Manager.  Both monitor installations and then remove everything associated with the installation, including registry entries, when the monitored program is uninstalled.

I use Comodo Programs Manager, primarily because it also runs in the background and picks up changes made by programs after they have been installed.  It can during a program removal then remove/make reversions based on information associated both with the original installation and then on information gathered post install, too.  The monitoring process is automatic from beginning to end.  No need to open CPM when installing programs or any other time until it's time to remove one.

I rate CPM very highly.  It has made my PC marketly better.  Actually, if I had to start over with a new OS installation, the first program I would add would be CPM, to take full advantage of its monitoring capabilities.

Revo seems to be the popular choice, that's why I recommended it, but I can't say why because I don't have any experience with the program.  Mostly just recommendations from users.

:)

Edited by UpgradeMe, 13 April 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#8 coprimadonna

coprimadonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks again... after doing further research, I found that it's "powered by Yahoo". I think it's harmless... but wanted to get more advice here. I appreciate your help!

#9 henryt85

henryt85

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm sorry you aren't finding the savings toolbar app helpful. I'm working on cleaning up the reputation of the toolbar that seems to have been tainted by affiliates who are actually  pushing harmful virus and malware cleaners (ironic, isn't it?) claiming the toolbar does nasty stuff that it doesn't. The truth is the toolbar is helpful if you are a ShopAThome.com member because it will reward you with money everytime you shop and uncover coupons and coupon codes while you are on a merchant's page. If you don't shop online or don't want to be a member then it probably isn't for you.  The browser app is not spyware, malware or a virus. The ShopAtHome.com team works closely with software security companies and services, evaluating safety and software to maintain our trusted status. ShopAtHome.com has been a Better Business Bureau accredited business since 2006. ShopAtHome.com is approved by the following anti-virus companies:

McAfee Total Protection

Norton IS 2011

Kaspersky

AVG 2011

Comodo

ETC!

The benefits and the best ways to remove the toolbar can be found on the official toolbar page: http://www.shopathome.com/toolbar-info

I don't mean to intrude on a forum, but want to help give out the right information.

#10 prettymba

prettymba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi There!

I had the same problem! The shopathome website does NOTHING to help you remove it. It's actually Malware that hides deep in your system. If you haven't removed it by now, I removed it by:

Right clicking on my taskbar (Make sure you have closed all internet browsers first)

Choose "start task manager."

Choose "processes" tab.

Look for "Shop at Home."

When found, right click on it (or them).

Choose "open file location," this will show you where Shop at Home is hiding.

Click on any file labeled Shop at Home and delete them to the recycling bin.

Empty recycling bin.

If this doesn't work, please let me know! Good luck!

DJ

#11 HuleoAmadaeus

HuleoAmadaeus

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=Spyware%3aWin32%2fShopAtHome.A

microsoft itself claims otherwise henryt85. all i know is that several 2nd opinion anti-malware programs have flagged it heavily. It is NOT something to keep.

I used the above link to remove the initial stuff, adwcleaner provided by bleepingcomputer cleaned up the stuff from the registry that shopathome installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users