Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to Start! My computer is freaking out!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaldesmarteau

jaldesmarteau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Mod edit:Moved from WIN7 to the Am I Infected forum ~~boopme

Hello,

First of all, I want to say, LOVE your website!  Has helped me "self-diagnose" and fix many problems over the years.

Okay, it started back in September of 2012.  I got the blue screen of death which gave me the blue screen, continual rebooting, errors, hidden files and the works.  I came to bleeping who introduced me to the steps to rid the S.M.A.R.T. HDD Virus.  The steps were easy and seemed to work like a charm to return most of my "lost"/hidden files and stop the blue screen.

BUT, since then, there have been many new symptoms and they are getting worse.  I don't know if they are related to each other or if my computer has received may different virues.  Don't even know where to start.  Here goes:

- Internet has gotten really slow taking about 10 times longer than usual to load a page.

- When I google and it brings up results, when I click a link, sometimes it takes me to a competely different page.

- I use Outlook with a gmail address.  Twice (that I know of), my email has been hijacked and it has sent out messages to all of my contacts.  Here are the two:

From: lisa.desmarteau@gmail.com <lisa.desmarteau@gmail.com>;
To:
Subject: Re: Medications
Sent: Tue, Feb 26, 2013 6:51:13 PM

Link: Online store
5% OFF code: w22c8

On Apr 7, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Request #90000 <lisa.desmarteau@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Gmail User,

This requires a confirm/update of your contact information. However, failure to verify your records will result in your account termination. Once you have reviewed your account records your Gmail session will not be interrupted. Please Click here to verify your data.

- The Gmail Team

- Some websites won't even load anymore incuding evite and shutterfy photo upload.  The thinking circle just goes around and around and never brings up my page.

Can you help me?!  I'm at my wit's end and embarrassed as I hope I'm not sending STDs (System Transmitted Diseases) to my friends  and need to get my computer back to functioning mode.

Any suggestions?!

~ Lisa

Edited by boopme, 07 April 2013 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad that this site has helped you out in the past and I'm positive that we will be able to help you again. 

From what you are describing, my gut instinct is saying that you have a malware infection and possibly a Rootkit based infection. 

Currently I have not completed my malware removal training here at BleepingComputer so I am unable to help you get rid of the STD's that your machine may have, however I would like to refer you over to the proper forum where you can get all the help you need.

The best place to start would be here, It is the "Am I infected" forum. It contains all the information that you will need to know before we start the process of getting you cleaned up.

Also, I will send a message to one of the moderators and ask them to move this post to the proper area. I wish you the best of luck and I know that by the time its all said and done you will be all fixed up and your computer will be running like a champ again.

--Lcs_tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users