Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pc-pete

pc-pete

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hello !

I have a Compaq presario 1400 laptop with Windows 98 which I seem to have broken.

I was attepmting to clean up the computer by running Spybot and Easycleaner, I think however running the latter I may have deleted some start-up files. The computer was running normally when I shut down however now when I switch the power on I get the following.

C:\>Set tvdumpflags=8

C:\>

If I try to start in safe mode, or command prompt safe mode I get the following:

Windows is bypassing your startup files

I have a floppy boot disk from which I have tried the command A:\>SYS C in an attempt to replace the start-up files... this has had no effect.

As I grew up with a Mac I have no idea how to use DOS.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

Good ol' Toniarts. I believe I've managed to mess up an operating system with that one, too. Not a real good idea to play around in the registry like that.

You might try restoring the registry, but it's gonna take some DOS work. Start your computer with a startup disk, or to command prompt only. It's normal for it to say that it's bypassing your startup files - that's what it's doing. When you get the prompt, make it the C: drive. (type C: and hit enter). Then type:
scanreg /restore
and hit enter. You will then be given five choices of registry to restore, and it will tell you if they started or not. Choose one that started and reboot.

In future, it's a good idea to back up your registry before making any sweeping changes. You can do this from within Windows using the DOS Prompt, just type scanreg /backup.

#3 pc-pete

pc-pete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, as you suggested I was given five registry choices all of which said they started however no matter which one I select I doesn't cure the problem.

The registry files are replaced succesfully and you are then prompted to restart.

On restart however same old problem:

C:\>Set tvdumpflags=8

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

If you replaced the registry from before you ran the Toniarts scan, then it would appear that something else is wrong.

If I'm reading you right, you get no further than the prompt, and it stops loading. I think the only thing you haven't done is to fix the master boot record. If that doesn't work, you may have to do a repair install of Windows.

Start with the Windows start disk and type:
fdisk /mbr

There are a number of other unrelated things that can cause this, such as a bad video card. When the video drivers are loaded, the screen goes black, but that doesn't sound like the problem you're having. You can also try to fix the registry, if you haven't already, by typing:
scanregw /fix
but I don't think that will work any better than what you have already done.

A repair install is performed by installing Windows without formatting the disk, and should retain all your files. Some of your programs may not work after the re-install, and will themselves need to be re-installed.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:58 AM

"Set tvdumpflags=" is probably loading from a line in autoexec.bat.
Does this system have ZoneAlarm installed on it?
In any case, at the C prompt, Type "edit c:\autoexec.bat" or "edit \autoexec.bat" (no qoutes) and hit enter.
Look for the corresponding line and delete it, save, exit and restart the system.
You will have no mouse functions so it's all keyboarding in here.
You'll also need to re-install what ever application was using that command line, which is probably damaged anyway.
While you're in there, the very first line at the top should read "@echo=off". If it doesn't, change it or add it in to get rid of those multiple C:>'s you're seeing.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 April 2006 - 07:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users