Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix programs that crash with a click? Run as service, or create a batch?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jdlev

jdlev

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Here's the background.  I work in a small call center.  We're open 24/7.  We get calls about a one of the programs that helps run the call center crashing (most of it is important, but not 'mission critical').  The programs run on one of two application servers that we have.  The programs are monitored by the 'sysmonitor' program, and if one of them goes unresponsive, the operators get an alert, and contact us.  90% of the time, we log in via remote desktop or pcanywhere, restart the program, and it's fixed.  So, I want to make a dummy switch. 

If a program crashes.  I want to enable an operator to start a batch file that will restart the program.  Is that the best way to fix the 3am calls from the call center, or is there a better way?

I've thought of another way, but doubt it will work.  What are the requirements to have a program run as a service on the application server?  I know that you can set options in the services section under computer management to automatically restart a program if it fails.  Can you do that with any program?

Thanks for any advice :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

You can put this into a batch file. It will restart the program

copy "Location of the file"  "Computer name that runs the program\"where to copy to" & and the file name" /y
shutdown /r /m \\Computer name /t 0

so for example lets say we have a file named test.exe on a computer named testPc. What you would do is:

copy S:\test.exe "\\testPc\os ©\test.exe" /y
shutdown /r /m \\testPc /t 0

That should do the trick I hope.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users