Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan control settings query

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi, one of my high-end programs (Armed Assault 2) keeps freezing after about 10 minutes and I suspect it may be because my PC is overheating. 

I monitor the temperature via the Expertool temperature dials (below) and the needles are usually in the cool blue and green zones during normal PC activities, but go into the hot red zone during AA2 with the fan whirring at higher than normal revs, followed by a freeze.

There's no readme with Expertool, so can anybody suggest new fan control settings I might try to stay out of the red zone?

For example why are there two dials apparently labelled 2D and 3D, what's the difference?

And what's the 'Fixed' and 'Dynamic' fan settings mean?

And on the right, what are the Clock Settings for?

Shall I try juggling all the settings to see what happens, or maybe I should just uninstall Expertool and let the fan look after itself?

Thanks

fancontrol.gif

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 07 April 2013 - 06:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Well...if I knew what Expertool is and what it is supposed to be...I could determine if it's worthwhile to even installl.

What is it, what is it supposed to do?  Why did you install it?  Can you provide a link to such?

Louis

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I vaguely remember I installed Expertool  about 5 years ago purely for interests sake after somebody recommended it as a good way to monitor your PC temperature.

I thought nearly everybody had it or something like it, but if that's not the case I'm considering uninstalling it if you don't think I need it?

This seems to be the latest version download-

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27315-gainward/27315-gainward?start=1

PS- I just saw this post in a forum-

"I'm not sure how many of you use Gainward's "Expertool", but if you don't and like to overclock your graphics card, no matter which brand of nVidia card it is, Expertool is for you! It should work with any brand of nVidia card (e.g: eVGA, BFG, Gainward, XFX, etc..), I know it works with BFG and eVGA, cause I use it on those two brands.

"Expertool v6.1" allows you to overclock the 'GPU', 'Memory', and 'Shaders' all seperately, or in sync if you so desire, it allows you to test your settings and has a recall incase you go to high and it freezes up on you"

For the record, I haven't touched the settings in all the 5 years I've had it.

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 07 April 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Well...I don't game...but if this utility is for graphics monitoring...then perhaps you need to find a forum for the tool.

Your title is a bit misleading, in that "fan" makes most of us think of the CPU fan.  Since this tool is unfamiliar (IMO) to many members...and your question is about its functioning...I will move this from XP to Internal Hardware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Okay thanks,and maybe I should have streamlined my original post by simply saying-
My PC keeps freezing during play of high-end games and I suspect overheating may be the cause because during play I can hear the internal fan whirring at higher and higher revs just before the freezes.
Freezes never used to happen before,so I can't understand why they should suddenly start happening now?

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Okay, problem solved, touch wood..:)

The local computer shop diagnosed "overheating" as causing the freezes, so they replaced a small area of old paste that separates some components.

Apparently the old paste had gone brittle and lost its heat-insulating properties.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for letting us know you have resolved your issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users