Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 3.x Or Dos (unsure)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have a friend's IBM ThinkPad 380ED and the operating system, whatever it may be, is not working and gives me an error after startup:
ERROR
I click ok and it asks me to set the clock. I do so and then it restarts. I tryed using a CD and a floppy to boot, but neither prevail. I don't how to access the BIOS to change the boot order so I'm at a brick wall. :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

Hello,
Sounds like your CMOS battery might be dead, but I'm not totally sure.

Replace the CMOS battery and reset your Date and Time.

To enter EZSetup, press and hold the F1 key down while turning on the unit, release after the MECOUNT completes and you hear the POST beep.

Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 jBoy!

jBoy!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

i learned in class that errors in the 160 range could have to do with either the cmos battery or the hard drive. i doubt it's the hard drive though, try replacing the battery and reconfigure the bios settings. hope i helped a bit
"Love is just a game you play."

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

Why can you not access the BIOS? If it is password protected changing the BIOS battery will clear the password.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

I can't access EZsetup with F1 because it doesn't give me the option too and even when I do press it, nothing happens. And it is possible to be the CMOS battery even though the date is correct when it asks me to put it in?

Edited by TeHelperHasBecomeTheHelpee, 08 April 2006 - 12:15 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Well I finnally go the battery (actually about a week ago, but I'm bored now so I figured I should reply) and it works great!! Thanks guys for all your input. BC rocks!!! *plays air guitar* ...wait... *picks up real guitar and plays* :thumbsup:

:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users