Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Remove Microsoft Word 2007?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

I recently got a new computer which has Microsoft Office 2007.  I don't know how to use Microsoft Word 2007, so I installed Word 2002 on this computer.  The problem is, if I try to open a document with Word, the computer automatically wants to use 2007 unless I manually open 2002 first.  I have even tried removing Word 2007 from Office 2007 without removing the other features of Office, but when I try to open a document in Word I get a prompt to configure Word 2007, again unless I manually open 2002 before opening the document.  Can I fix this?  I haven't used the other Office programs yet, but I really don't want to remove them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

If you right click on a document and select "Open with" and then "Choose default program" you might be able to set the default program to Word 2002.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Forgot to say I have Windows XP Pro. When I click "open with", as you suggested, It gives Word 2007 as an option but no word 2002

Edited by yellowdog5, 09 April 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi Yellowdog,

Do you have the install disc for Office 2007 ?  If you do, you can use them to remove Office components including Word. Just put the disc in the optical drive and let it run to the screen where it asks you for the install / repair options you wish. If I remember correctly, choose everything you want to keep and run the installer.

If you don 't have the installation disc, I don't think you can remove an installed part of Office.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, I think I have the disk, I'll try it.

#6 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think if I have Office 2007, I am stuck with Word,  even if I inactivate Word 2007, I get a prompt to configure it when I try to open a document, unless Word 2002 is already open.  I may just have to live with it.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

You should try to learn to use 2007. It takes some getting used to but is worth the effort I think.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm sure 2007 is great, it's just finding the time to learn it.  Hopefully I will one of these days.......   Thanks for the help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users