Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

App Needs Updated Per Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skilz853

skilz853

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Greetings :hello:

I initially posted this in the Files Database but not being sure I'd get a response from there as to what I should do, I decided to post it here in the Forum as well,

Shortly after installing HP AIO software so I could use the scanner among other functionality, Secunia PSI flagged this file as needing updated. When right-clicking it in PSI it shows it residing in C:\Windows\sysWOW64. When I clicked on update a webpage opened that wants to install files in c:\Program Files(x86)\MSXML 4.0. I'm reluctant to install this since PSI's showing only msxml4.dll needs updated.

If anyone has any advice about this, it'd be most appreciated. The link below is what PSI opens when clicking on "Click to update" which offers only the opportunity to download xsxml.msi

download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/D/A2D8587D-0027-4217-9DAD-38AFDB0A177E/msxml.msi

Thanks,

skilz853

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skilz853

skilz853
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

Correction: Title of this thread should be:

App Needs Updated Per Secunia PSI

Mod Edit:  Corrected - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi -

What version of Secunia have you installed ? ?

I found some flawed items with the latest version, so I removed it and installed Version 2 -

Since then I have had less problems with updates and identifying needed updates.

Please note that I have 32bit version of Win7 Home Premium and not 64bit - Several others have found Version 2 is more workable at times also.

Note that Secunia is an Advisor Program only, and not always correct in all advice offered, but it just offers advice only -

For your problem, first go to Windows Updates, and see if any updates are offered to you -

Thank You -

#4 skilz853

skilz853
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hey noknojon,

Thanks for your reply.

I recently updated to version 3.0.0.6005 from an earlier version of 3.0 that was not launching properly from the notification area icon.

I have version 2.0.0.4003 installed on another PC and am considering going back to that version on this PC as I like it much better than 3.0...

Also right after installing the HP software I did get a Windows Update notification for MSXML 4.0 SP2 and installed it, then got another notification of another Win Update and installed it also, but PSI is still flagging it as needing updated.

A post from MowGreen in the link below

I found this link http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/167632-problem-installing-msxml4-dll-kb954430.html MowGreen mentions the presence of MSXML 4 in Windows 7 being related to HP Printer software, which is exactly when I PSI flagged it as needing updated. He also says MSXML 4.0 SP3 is needed to get version 4.3.2100.0 of msxml4.dll that PSI is saying is the newest version.

All the HP software I installed seems to be working as it should so I'm going to set the update in PSI to be ignored for the time being.

I'm sleep deprived atm and hope I've not rambled, but am gonna hit post and get myself to bed :)

If you have any additional advice it'd be most appreciated.

Again Thanks,

skilz853

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi -

This may be one of the sites I visited when I mentioned about Windows Updates providing it -

>>it's being replaced with MSXML 6 anyway.
The only situation I know of that may require or explain the presence of MSXML 4 in Windows 7 is HP Printer software.
<<

The top line was where the idea for a Windows Update came from. I was not aware of the use of HP Printer software.

Try Version 2 of Secunia and follow the ideas in the post you mention above. Let us know how you go -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users