Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing in recycle bin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 daisydo

daisydo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Hi

Windows 7 Home Premium on laptop and I've been deleting things from favourites to clear some stuff and it's been working fine.  Last few days though only noticed as much today, there's nothing in the recycle bin and it's not asking me if I want to delete the file before sending it to the bin.  Next to the delete and rename in the right clicked list there is the blue and yellow shield (windows 7?) but not on the rest of the list and I haven't noticed them before.

I have checked the properties for the recycle bin it's still as it was set to display delete confirm dialogue box and the "remove files permanently" is unchecked.  I can't figure out why this has gone like it has as I've deleted quite a few bits and they've always been in the recycle bin until last few days.

I am not at ease doing techy stuff on the computer so any really dummy instructions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

Try unchecking the delete dialog box on recycle bin properties then hit apply. Launch again then checkmark it , hit apply. What happens? Are you just referring to the C drive when deleting items? The blue/yellow shield you might have notice is the UAC run as administrator/priveleges on programs and exe files which started in Windows Vista OS.

Tekken

#3 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

JH have just tried that but still all the same thank you.  As for the shields they never used to be there, even got one on malwarebytes desktop icon now, never used to be.  I don't have any idea how to deal with those because I am far from confident touching things on computers (technophobic lol) but how did they appear and why...did I do something I shouldn't have or does IE10 which I'm using do that?  All I want is for recycle bin to be back to normal and the shields to go so that my laptop is back to what it was really. :)

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

even got one on malwarebytes desktop icon now, never used to be.

aOM691x.jpg

Do you mean like this shield?

Edited by jhayz, 07 April 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Tekken

#5 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

even got one on malwarebytes desktop icon now, never used to be.

aOM691x.jpg

Do you mean like this shield?

Hi JH yes exact one that's on the malwarebytes and the delete and rename button when I delete things.  Never used to be there.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

That is a normal shield icon for Windows 7 installed programs. Maybe your not yet familiar or have not notice the icon shield before...

Tekken

#7 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

That is a normal shield icon for Windows 7 installed programs. Maybe your not yet familiar or have not notice the icon shield before...

Hi again JH  - the shields were never on the list by the delete and rename button until just recently (that's in the drop down menu when you right click on an item to delete, move etc etc) they were never on there.  Also why are deleted items not going into the recycle bin which they were doing until a few days ago so that I could empty the bin.  They are bypassing the bin and yet the set up is for them to go into the bin which they always did and for the dialogue box to come up to ask if I wanted to send them to the bin...now that is not coming up either.  Please note the settings for that haven't changed I have checked and double checked it....the right things are ticked or unchecked.  What I'm trying to establish is what has happened for the shield to appear when it was never there on those items and why things are bypassing the recycle bin. 

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hi

Windows 7 Home Premium on laptop and I've been deleting things from favourites to clear some stuff and it's been working fine.  Last few days though only noticed as much today, there's nothing in the recycle bin and it's not asking me if I want to delete the file before sending it to the bin.

How were you deleting from Favorites?

If you open the browser, click Favorites, right click on one then choose delete you will not be asked "are you sure you want to delete this?". Removing from Favorites this way will not send it to the recycle bin. At least it never has for me.

If you delete from Computer/Local Disk C/Users/your user name/Favorites you will be asked if you are sure you want to delete and if choosing YES it will go to the recycle bin.

#9 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hello Q-E  yes I have always deleted by opening the browser, clicking Favorites, right clicking on one then choosing delete you, I've always done it this way.  It always used to ask are you sure you want to delete this and clicked yes and it has always sent it to the recycle bin...that is until now.  I think the reason yours doesn't "ask" or send to recycle bin is because you haven't set that up in the appropriate box (right click on recycle icon, then check or uncheck appropriately in there).  Mine is as it always has been but is now not doing what it always has.

Edited by daisydo, 07 April 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

My recycle bin is set up to display delete confirmation AND to send files to the recycle bin. All I know is that when I delete from the browser favorites they don't go in the recycle bin. It's no big deal to me because when I delete a Favorite I know I don't need it anymore.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 April 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#11 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

My recycle bin is set up to display delete confirmation AND to send files to the recycle bin. All I know is that when I delete from the browser favorites they don't go in the recycle bin. It's no big deal to me because when I delete a Favorite I know I don't need it anymore.

Oh right, so why doesn't it do what it's set up to do?  Mine did and now it's as you explain yours is, so what has happened for it to stop displaying the dialogue box and stop depositing items in the recycle bin?  Very strange as to why it's not doing what it should.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

sometimes we think things just started to do it a different way ,deleting links from favorites never went to the recycle bin ,and the icon means you have admin rights to delete the file

Edited by caperjac, 07 April 2013 - 05:13 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

No caperjac I haven't imagined it or thought it was, it actually used to ask me if I wanted to send items to the recycle bin and I clicked yes and the items went in there and if I'd made a mistake in deleting I could then restore them..simples.  I can delete things into the bin from desktop as I've since tried but doesn't happen as it used to from deleting in the favorites list.

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

ok,but it never did for me

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#15 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

@ Q-E and caperjac

Someone has very kindly found why the problem has occurred and it was happening in 2009 with IE in Win 7.  It never did on mine until recently so maybe they did a patch and recently an update on IE10 (for me) has brought it back again.  The link here takes you to the problem exactly as I'm experiencing and if you scroll right down the page there's a screen shot of what I have been on about.  I'd check on your favorites drop down menu to see if you have the same as shown in the photo on the link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4ecddf9c-e510-4e68-92bc-015497722e51/

Many thanks for your help here I appreciate your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users