Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tying to boot XP from new system copy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tonyoco

tonyoco

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

My computer crahsed a few days ago due (I think) to a registry delete. I did a clean load of XP onto another disk in the system

OK except i can only boot to it from a floppy with a boot.ini on it. I can't seem to get it to boot directly from that drive

As It seems to be a function of the system drive not being C: I decided to copy all system drive G: back to C:

I then cleaned the original C: drive and am now trying to copy all the system disk files back to C: XP CMD seems to omiot some! That's my current problem!

I downloaded a DOS XP floppy (Which brought me to this site) but I can't get it to see any of my 3 drives as valid!

However when I run a Fdisk it does list them as 1-4 (I gues the CD ROM is one of them!

Whats' the trick to getting to the Hard drives so I can copy over the system disk back to C:

Thansk-Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

What method did you use...to "copy" the system files to another drive/partition?

Louis

#3 tonyoco

tonyoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

That's my problem. All methods I havw tried have some kind of issue

1. Using Safe mode doesn't copy all files-critical sysem files are omitted

2. Using The original XP CDROM even in Recvoery mode does't give me Xcopy-so it's kind of useless!

3. That new (to me) DOS floppy I just got seems to be my best choice IF only I could change directories. It lists all my disks when I do a Fdisk and labels them 1-4 but when I do a cd 1: or cd c: is says "invalid drive"

I'm stuck at the moment

Can you help?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Are these disks just partitions or actual physical hard disks?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

You can't just copy the contents of a system drive to another drive and have it operate correctly. The last OS I'm aware of being able to do this with a substantial set of XCOPY switches was Windows 95.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 tonyoco

tonyoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm trying to copy/clone a complete system XP drive one to another!

Actually, I just has SUCCESS!

I found a great program last night called "The ultimate boot CD 4 windows" Took a while to put together, but well worth it and all free!

I was able to do a simpe Copy/Paste in explorer which only partly worked! It booted to welcome screen, but that was mostly all!

This morning I wiped it, then tried a program within the UBCD4 called CopyWipe (I chose segments) that did the trick!

It worked great. As far as I can tell everything is OK!

So, all I need to do now is get that disk (C:) to boot directly from BIOS not a floppy as it is now!

But that should be easy! Although, I never could get the original system disk (G:) to do that! In fact that was the main reason I wanted to transfer the system to C: as I suspected the "C:" is somehow critical! 

Thanks for all trying to help!

Regards

Tony

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hi tonyoco

UBCD4WIN is a well known boot disk. You can use use drive imageXML from UBCD4WIN to easily clone your HDD to another one. There are also other free utilities which does the job without all the unnecessary steps you did. 

#8 tonyoco

tonyoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi Thanks

I'm finding that out!

However, my optimism abt getting this clone system disk to boot directly from BIOS has been significantly lowered!

I did get info from Microsoft knowledge stuff, but for some reason the Fixboot /Rebuild in Recovery Console won't recognize my windows loads. It did see my temp 1386 load for the UBCD4WIN disk---I eventually had to delete it! But it still wouldn't see the 2 windows loads although they both work IE I can load Win via a simple boot floppy!

I’m sure it’s to do with the MBR-but I know almost nothing abt that-even though I have used PC’s since they were invented!

I basically have given up as I have been putting off "Honey Do's" too long!

If anyone has some ideas on this, I will try again when dark-can't do chores then!

Regards Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users