Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pavillion g6 Terrible Wifi Range

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeguyy

Dudeguyy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

So, I've had this HP Pavillion g6 laptop for going on two years now, and I have for the most part, few complaints. It's been a good college computer and has put up with more abuse than it should have had to.

One major quarrel I do have with it though is the wireless reception range. I use Firefox for my browser, and when connected to networks I have to be VERY close to the router in order to recieve the signal. Like, within 5 or 6 feet of it. For instance, when in my dorm, I use my roommate's Wifi. I can access it fine when I"m in the living room, which is within that 5-6 foot range I mentioned earlier. But even in my bedroom, which is only a mere 10 or so feet away, I cannot access the internet.

The odd thing is, I can still connect to his network from my room, and often the signal stregth is shown as 4 or 5 bars on my network connection icon. But whenever I try to go to a website there, I get stuck in a nevereneding loop of "connecting..." on Firefox, with it occasionally ending in a "Could not load webpage: connection was reset" page.

I also cannot load sites in the bathroom with the door closed (which is closer than my bedroom) or in my room using my other roommate's Wifi (he was right next door to me)!! It seems that if even the thinnest wall or door is between the router and my computer, I cannot load web pages though I am still connected to the network.

I can give you any specs you want if any of you can help! Thanks I appreciate it. Here is a rough diagram of my dorm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

l    (roomate/ l                                                  l   (Wifi I used    l

l      router)    l             (Living Room)               l     to use)        l

l                    l                                                   l                        l

------------------ D-------                                                   ---------D----------------------------         l                                                                                                               l (My room)  l

l            D                                                                                                D                  l

l______l________________________________________________ l__________l              D= Door

Edited by Dudeguyy, 06 April 2013 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

If it happens only to a particular place, then the problem must be with the wireless signal broadcast settings of the router itself. By the way, :welcome: Dudeguyy to BC community. :)

Tekken

#3 Dudeguyy

Dudeguyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks a bunch Jhayz.

I've pondered if that's it before. It strikes me as odd that it would happen with both my roommate's seperate routers though. For instance, I can pick up wireless just fine if I am in a classroom around campus). To me it just seems that my computer doesn't have the best reception range for wifi and if even just a few obstacles get in between the router and my computer, it won't be able to use the signal.

I have dropped my computer a few times (regrettably). It still seems functionally just fine, but is it possible that perhaps I have damaged the WiFi card somehow and drastically reduced its range?

FYI, I just updated the wireless drivers (again) with no luck.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

It's possible that you could try using a USB wifi adapter or reinserting the internal card. My HP G6 laptop has very good reception so far.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users