Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Initial Setup, Broken Laptop Monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 myohmyke

myohmyke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

The keyboard FN-shortcuts ony my Asus eeePC don't work at all during the initial setup.  I want to set the old thing up so my mom can work on church bulletins and such without being cooped in the computer room, when I took it out of storage, though, I found the monitor was cracked.  I've mounted the harddrive externally on other computers and it is fine, the memory should be fine, and whatnot, and I ran the onboad flash-restore to restore XP to default.

That was a mistake, apparently.  I can't get into Windows to switch to the external until I complete initial set-up; I can't complete initial set-up because I have no usable monitor. =\  I tried booting into Safe Mode - that popped up on the exernal, but only gave me the dialog box "Setup is not yet complete, run setup again." and restarted.  I booted with "VGA COmpatability Mode" on, and the first dialog box appears on the external.  Sadly, it's the box that says "Windows will automatically configure display settings," the external monitor gets turned off, and I"m SOL again.

I can't blindly run through the set-up because I, evidentally, can't find the images or video of it online.  The one I did find I tried to do, and I either end up shutting the system down somehow, or it either 'hangs' or is trying to connect to the internet (whicxh it can't, because it needs a password).  Is there any hope for it at all?

Edit: The BIOS has no option to disable onboard monitor.  Pretty much everything else can be disabled, but not that.  Maybe a new bios patch has that feature?  Ill have to check...

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2013 - 12:49 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

You might be able to unplug the display to force it to output to the external monitor, but you would have to disassemble the laptop.

I've never seen a laptop where the display switching shortcut didn't work at all times, but I haven't worked on laptops that treat the external video output as a secondary display. The laptops I've worked on were old and duplicated the video on all displays, even if the graphics controller supported multiple displays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users