Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP User Profile Gone Bad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 futurewebboss

futurewebboss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

This is really a head scratcher.

For the last couple of months while watching videos my XP Pro, SP3 mochine, will just suddenly turn off. In addition the video playback has been choppy and just horrible. I've been using Chrome so I did what was recommended in the forums and made sure I was using just one flash player etc. All drivers are up to date, system is tuned using Advanced System care, etc. etc. etc. This morning however while trying to make a very short, 3 minutes Camtasia video I couldn't get it to render. System will shut down again and again and again.

So I logged in using a different user profile and everything is not only working fantatically in terms of video, but response time is noticeably improved for everything that I do.

I know I can go create a new user profile and copy the settings etc, but things like this are very disturbing and wondering if anyone has any insight and expertise about this. I'd like to repair the profile if possible just to say I did it but I guess it's ultimately one of those Microsfot features we all have to live with (unfortunately). Anyways any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 futurewebboss

futurewebboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

The other thing that concerns me is that if I do create a new user profile, then how do I know I'm just not copying the problem over from the old profile to the new profile? Without knowing the cause of the issue is this a risk? Certainly sounds like it's registry related but that's just a guess.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Trial-and-error...is the simplest, most direct method for testing a premise, IMO.

Creating a new profile...and having no problems...seems to validate your premise of a damaged profile.

If problems develop while using the newly created profile...there will be no harm done and you will know that further troubleshooting is necessary.

If it were a "registry issue" or anything other than a profile issue, it would impact the second profile as well.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#4 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

This sounds like a problem I actually brought on myself one time using a cleaner.  The cleaners can and do remove .dlls sometimes, and it's easy to end up with a .dll problem.

In my case, I reinstalled Flash, and it did the trick.  I had lost macro functionality in MS Office and in some other programs and videos were not behaving.

I have seen reinstalling DirectX as a methodology for solving similar problems, too.

I think .dlls (dynamic link libraries)  contain references used by programs to find for example Flash and/or perhaps some ActiveX and DirectX elements.  When certain .dlls are missing or if the reference to Flash, etc. is missing from the PC somehow, then the program is unable to locate Flash, etc. to render the video correcly.

In your case, perhaps reinstalling Flash while logged into the account you mentioned might help.  Not sure, but it does sound like the same reference problem I had...just for one account though.  Hope this helps somehow and good luck.

Edited by UpgradeMe, 08 April 2013 - 12:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users