Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan dead, advice on new one

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbarntt

jbarntt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

My system is a Win7, home built PC. Mobo is an MSI A75MA-G55, with an AMD A8-3850 Llano APU.

My PC will shut down after about 30 minutes, and Speedfan tells me my CPU/GPU is way too hot, i.e., the CPU fan has died.

Any advice re: a replacement fan/heatsink would be welcome.  I don't need an exotic water cooled system, just a decent replacement.  I haven't opened the PC yet, to see what its got, but will do so tomorrow.

Oh, what I have is the retail box of the APU + cooling fan/heat sink.

TIA

jbarntt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

If both of these are running too hot I would check to see if the inside of the case needs cleaning out.  Look especially at the heatsink and fan assembly are free of dust, and the same for the GPU if it has a fan.

Also check to see that the case fan is running properly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jbarntt

jbarntt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Thanks Arach, and sorry to be tardy in my reply.  I'll do as you suggest. In my case the CPU and GPU are one unit. I think AMD calls it an APU, so I'm pretty sure I've  got a what would ordinarily be called a dead CPU fan.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Have you physically inspected the APU to see if the fan is plugged in, and if it is does it spin?

If the fan is faulty I would suggest replacing it before using this computer again, the APU can overheat and be damaged.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users