Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Link DIR-825 5GHz band inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have the DIR-825 operating downstairs.  My computer is using a brand new Linksys AE3000 that I bought to access my router's 5GHz frequency band.  I know the AE3000 works because it is picking up all the 5GHz signals in my area (I can tell because inSSIDer lists them all, as well as Windows 7 network connections lists them).

However, my personal 5GHz SSID seems to be inaccessible to me. 

When I highlight it in the Windows 7 networking notification window, I see:

SSID: ********HomeMedia5GHz

Signal Strength: Excellent

Security Type: WPA2-PSK

Radio Type: 802.11n

If I attempt to connect, I'm prompted to type in my network security key.  I assume that to be the password I setup for the network.  I type it in and then the wheel spins and nothing happens; eventually, a dialogue pops up stating, "Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual," followed by, "Unable to connect to *******"  I tried typing in my pre-shared key instead of password once and no different result :(

All settings are the same for connecting to my 2.4GHz band, which works fine (just has a lot of competition in my apartment complex).

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  I see "excellent" signal strength as an indication that there is some setting plugged in wrong, not a transmitter power issue.

Your thoughts?  Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!

Edited by cbjfan2009, 05 April 2013 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

It isn't a Network password that it is looking for. It is asking you for the encryption key that you set up in the router.

You did set up a key for the WPA2-PSK?

You may need to log into the router via a ethernet cable and set the key.

Also make sure the router username and password are not still on the default settings.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the response.  As I mentioned above, I tried typing in the pre-shared passkey once and got the same issue.  However, I went ahead and created a new pre-shared passkey, saved it, then attempted to connect using the CD setup software that came with the USB device.  After inserting the new passkey, voila!  300Mbps connection on 5GHz!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thank You for letting us know the solution.

I'm glad it worked

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users