Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear 7550 DSL modem - strange behavior when turned on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

My Netgear 7550 DSL modem is OEM from my ISP (Frontier). I have twice brought this hardware problem up with my Frontier's technical support and received a wishy washy answer. I am interested if anyone has any suggestions as to whether I have a problem and whether I should ask Frontier for a new modem.

When you turn on the Netgear 7550, the power light is supposed to be red for 5-15 seconds, then turn green initiating the modem to sync with the ISP. However in my case when I first turn on the modem, the power light stays red forever - never turns green and the modem never syncs. So what I do is turn off the modem for 5 seconds, then turn it back on and the modem will work properly. So the sequence is: turn modem on, turn off for 5 seconds, then turn back on.

I thought the problem might be the electrical power in my old house. So I brought the modem to the local university computer center and the modem acted just like it does in my house. So the problem is not the electrical power.

Does anyone has any thoughts on why this happens?  Is this behavior normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

It doesn't sound normal to me, Does the modem stay connected ok if you leave it turned on? What suggestions has Frontier given you?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

The modem does stay connected. Currently I have it plugged directly into a wall socket rather than into the power strip. I leave the modem on all the time in the event that it would not start if I shut it off.

Frontier technical support decided (after 3 phone calls) that the modem has a problem and they have shipped a new modem, I should get it tomorrow. I'll post the condition of the new modem. 

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Received the new modem. It works very well, no problems at all. So apparently the old modem had a hardware problem.

Interesting that Frontier did not ask for the old modem back.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Even though they didn't ask for the modem back it still belongs to them. I know most providers when they lease the equipment to you they will charge a Fee if it isn't returned. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users