Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden change in font, sign in boxes, yikes!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi, thanks in advance for any advice -

I have a sudden change in the appearance of certain things on my computer - mainly fonts, script and sign in boxes. Everything appears as I'm on a different computer than mine. It's a subtle change, but very strange.

Any idea what happened, and is it possible to get back to how it used to look? It's not that it's not readable, it's  like I'm on someone else's computer........would sure like my "old" computer back.....this computer is a year old, Windows 7, using IE 10.

You most notice the overall change when logging into any website that requires a password, not only does the  sign in box and fonts and overall "look"  look different, but the little box of prompts of all your user names instead of being all there one directly below other, now have a couple of spaces between each one........something is going on here......

I have checked my resolution, it's still the same, have run several auto fix things in windows, nothing has worked.

On the advice of the windows help forums, I tried a system restore, thinking a large auto windows update run yesterday might have been the issue.....

That just  opened a huge can of worms, and it took me over an hour to get the computer back up and running. First I tried to restore to a week ago, before a few different updates - and it was unsuccessfully. Then I tried updating just to yesterday this went through ok, but nothing changed on the computer - so then I tried to restore a couple of days earlier and everything went to  hell in a handbasket!!! - this caused a "blue screen", with some sort of error, I had to uplug the computer, reboot, and wait a long time for a systems restart fix thingy. Then I kept getting more error messages, and freeze ups computer would not start, but after unplugging a few times it is back on, now.
Anyway, thanks again  for any sort of advice, tips or tricks anyone can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

this caused a "blue screen", with some sort of error,

Hi -

If the Blue Screen happens again, there will be error numbers and usually a message with it

Can you please note these if this is visable, and post them in your next reply as they are a great help -

Thank You -

#3 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

GOING BACK TO IE 9, FROM IE 10, APPEARS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM!

Hi, I was a scaredy cat to attempt to restore again, afraid I would get that blue screen thingy and that would be that.....another computer in the trash that I haven't even paid for yet......

Anyway, even though I understand about computers about as much as I understand women, (not much), I FIXED THE problem, or at least put a big bandage on it.........by remembering it was only a few days ago my computer automatically updated to IE 10..............I figured out (a grand achievment for me, lemme tell ya), how to go back to IE 9, and OUILA!!!!!  Everthing back to normal, for now.........stay tuned.......   :bananas:

I guess next step is I change my "handle", and sign up on this site as an expert advisor? aye?  :hysterical:

Edited by computerdummie1, 06 April 2013 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users