Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Radeon HD 5570 Driver Crashes System

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 missmertle

missmertle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

No matter what driver I seem to use, whether it's installed by ATI's Catalyst software, directly from .inf file, or by other means, I just can't get them to work. I know that somewhere, out in the great blue yonder, are the proper drivers.. I just haven't found them yet.

The moment the drivers install (via Catalyst or other executable) my system forces a reboot. I get to the "loading Windows" screen, and then.. it reboots again- it's a continuous loop until I boot into safe mode and remove said drivers. Same thing happens by other installation methods, only with those, I'm the one who initiates the first reboot. In some cases, it doesn't even reboot- it just shuts the system down completely. I finally just shut off the automatic rebooting on crash, and all I'm left with is a BSOD.

I've had the same issue with both XP and Win7. Heck, I upgraded TO Windows 7 in hopes it'd solve the problem.

I've tried drivers supplied by AMD, by Windows Update, old drivers from various websites around the 'net, even going far as to try every ATI Catalyst suite since version 9, and to no avail (and no, I do not have a driver disk). It's been almost a week of constant Google searches, forum skimming, and trial & error.

I know the card itself works just fine, as I'm normally a native Linux user, and everything (including full hardware 3D rendering) works fine and dandy. I keep Windows on a dual boot to (hopefully) play games and for Windows based programs that require too many system resources to be used with a virtual machine or emulator. There was a time when I had the correct drivers, but that was a while and many re-installations of OSes ago- maybe even two years or so.

I consider myself a fairly tech savvy individual and this crapola is driving me bonkers! Can someone please help me? smile.gif

ADDENDUM: When poking around the event log viewer, the only error that pertains to the graphics card reads as follows (there are many of the same, just with different timestamps from all my numerous attempts):

Error      4/3/2013 5:08:42 PM         amdkmdag         6145         POWERPLAY
With a description of:

System shutdown due to graphics card overheating

----------------------------

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 cpu
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 mobo
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe graphics card
4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3/1333MHz mem
Dual-boot Kubuntu 12.04 / Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic