Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downgrade to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ds123

ds123

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm trying to install windows 7 onto a Windows 8 computer.

It nearly finished but then froze at 'starting windows screen'.

I changed the boot order in bios but it won't boot from hard drive?
It tries to do network boot and boot from disk. Also says system recovery options are not compatible with version of windows i am trying to repair

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi -
As a clue, what version of Win8 is installed, and what version of Win7 are you trying to install.
There are (were) restrictions on the versions that can be interchanged -

Please read This recent topic from M/soft on versions and procedures -

Thank You -

#3 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I believe my computer can run Windows 7, but with Windows 8 came a new BIOS (EUFI).

#4 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

ds123

You have chosen not to do it as suggested in my earlier post ie- separate partitions.

You can do this another way by doing the following.

On starting your computer keep clicking your delete tab....this will take you into your bios.......change bootup to the DVD drive.....very important.... you cannot load another o/s onto another o/s while it is working.

Having put your W7 O/S disk into your DVD drive....when installation starts choose CUSTOM.....this will give you the option to choose which partition to install the o/s on.....Good Luck.

#5 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

I've tried everything, it just says it can't install on this disk on a GPT (GUID Partition Table) volume. Now i am having real difficulties getting to the Advanced Boot options so i can get Windows 8 back. It either freezes or goes to my Install Windows 7 Disk.I can't choose Repair computer as it is not compatible with the version of windows i want to repair.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hi ds123

Is your computer is a PC or Laptop?. Do you have Win8 install disk as backup? 

#7 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

It is an acer laptop, it did not come with any back up discs, can i use partition software as a boot up disk and then change the GPT partition so i can install Windows 7 ?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi ds123

Since you already formatted C drive building recovery media is out of question. I highly recommend creating recovery discs or disc image before repartitioning HDD.

If you really want to get rid of Win8 and don't care about coming back to it, please follow the steps.

Firstly you need to enter in to BIOS and make sure "SecureBoot" is turned off. Location of it may be different from model to model but usually found under boot settings.

Secondly clean all partitions of your HDD. You can either use any free partition CD or diskpart from Win7 DVD repair command window to do that. Here is a how to guide for Diskpart : http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/using-diskpart-on-the-windows-7-dvd-t112571.html

Instead of deleting partitions one by one you can use "clean" command to clear partition table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

Here is the download link for Partition Wizard home edition boot CD : http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

It is a linux based GUI live CD so you can easily edit partitions without much explanation.

#9 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

You may want to contact your computer manufacture and request the installation media for a small fee in case things go terribly wrong. Not all vendors have drivers for previous Windows versions and if they do it's only for models that came out at the debut of the latest OS and only for a short time (in case you didn't want to upgrade just yet). So I highly recommend it in case your computer is not compatible.

I don't know if your problem is related to Windows 8 use of UEFI, but I do know that they are locking down installations for certified Windows 8 pc's and making it harder to switch OS's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users