Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer, slows down for a few seconds randomly.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 braze

braze

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

I'm not sure if I am infected or not but I have had this laptop for almost a year now, and also had the motherboard replaced. Ever since I received the new motherboard I feel like the laptop has been decreasing in speed more and more everyday. Some issues I have is when I watch videos or play games installed, or even listening to music, the computer slows down for a few seconds and the audio slows down, sounding really demonic. Same with the video. It happens about once every 2-3 minutes depending on what I am doing. My laptop also gets very hot so I bought a cooling pad but that didn't really seem to help. I scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and Avast. Nothing came up. I also installed a program that optimizes and cleans the computer. Seem to help a little bit, but not too much.

Some specs:

Dell XPS 17 L702x

Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz

8 GB Ram

Windows 7 64 Bit

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

-Braze

Edited by braze, 05 April 2013 - 02:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Since the computer isn't a year old yet it most likely is still covered under warranty at least for the hardware if you didn't purchase a protection plan.

--- Whether or not it's a software problem we don't know yet but the video (which can include the playing games issue) & heating battery don't indicate a software issue to me at least not yet

--- Although we don't know what the original problem(s) were the motherboard has already been replaced and I suspect the new motherboard should have a 1 year coverage

--- So I would imagine that's the sign of an inherent hardware problem right out of the gate 

If Dell or wherever you bought the computer from complains or sends you in circles you will have to press your case

--- I helped a friend of mine do that a few years ago on her daughters new laptop where Staples was pointing the finger at Dell and Dell was pointing a finger at Staples

--- There wasn't any magic to it, just persistent approaches that took about 3 weeks to resolve her situation, in her case the computer was replaced

Last year another one of my friends went through a similar situation with an HP Desktop in which his computer was replaced

Now in both cases each one of them had purchased a protection plan and even with that trying to address the problem was still a fiasco but again persistence paid off

If there isn't any kind of a warranty; either the basic coverage or a paid plan and you have to troubleshoot the problem yourself you might be better off taking the computer to a local computer repair shop but find out first about your warranties especially to ensure you don't do something that eliminates the warranty coverage

#3 braze

braze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

My warranty was about to expire in two more weeks. Lucky I just renewed my warranty yesterday for another two years. The only reason why I had to replace my motherboard is because my HDMI port got bent some how after a blackout out. The only way to get it fixed was to replace the motherboard, so I got that done. Also, I just got a text from a friend today stating that he received an email from my account with a weird link attached to the body. I looked through my email and it shows that I sent an email to almost all my contacts. So I'm guessing it could possibly be a horrible virus? I would like to try to some home remedies / walkthroughs before I would have to talk to dell again. Hopefully its not as bad as it seems. Who knows though....

#4 braze

braze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Just an update, for some reason my computer became unbarebly slow too the point where it becomes unusuable. Internet stoped working, task bar changed color by itself and when I clicked the start menu, It wouldn't let me click anything from the popup menu. Something is taking over my laptop. :(

EDIT* Followed one of the threads posted on this website (SLOW COMPUTER) Cleaned some registry, cleaned the internet cache, and ran a few virus checks. Internet is usable now, but I feel like the computer lost so much speed.

Edited by braze, 06 April 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#5 braze

braze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I decided to factory reset the laptop. I backed up my pictures and music. I can just re install the programs and see which one made my computer slow. If the problems continue, I will know its a hardware issue and I will have dell come and look at it. Thank you!

We can close this thread. Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Glad you resolved it.

We don't normally close topics, consider this "closed' since you've resolved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thank you for letting us know your resolution. I believe you made the right decision because you have put yourself in control of assessing your computers performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users