Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card installation went awry

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

hello,

Sony VGC-RB44G Desktop mini tower

xp 32   OS

intel D915gro motherboard

BIOS Vendor    Intel Corp.

BIOS Version    EV91510A.04T.0051.2005.0313.1931

BIOS Date    03/13/2005

3 gb RAM

OK, here is how it all went down

I recently had an overheating GeForce 210 GPU and uninstalled it to enable the onboard video function.  I purchased the XFX 9500 GT as the new card to be installed,  everything looked right a far as it being compatible to the PCI slot. i powered the machine down and physically installed the new card. it fit right in. then i powered the PC back up and it didn't even make it to POST or boot or BIOS. The case fan was continuously loud after the power up as it usually is when the PSU is unplugged from the back of the machine and plugged back in. but it usually is spinning that fast only for a few seconds then it calms down. this time it stayed on max rpm for at least 5 minutes before i powered it off. the MOBO light was on and the GPU fan was spinning and the CPU fan was spinning at regular speed.

Ok, here is where it gets frustrating. I uninstalled the new GPU and re-installed the old overheating GPU just to see what would happen. powered up and still a continuously loud case fan but this time i got a POST beep twice with a pause in between but after that. no boot or bios or anything. and the case fan was still maxed. . I uninstalled the old card and went back to the onboard.

Powered back up running onboard and everything was normal. the case fan initiated with max RPM and then calmed down to regular speed after a few seconds like usual.

ok, now everything is functional. i re-boot and get into BIOS to look for any settings in there that might be relevant and found nothing about prioritizing the GPU over the onboard that i have read others speak of in various articles. I know my BIOS needs to be updated but i am quite frightened of doing anything with BIOS without doing a lot of homework as one wrong move could be a death blow to the PC.

Trouble is, I had to install a  new GeForce 210 (the one that is overheating now with a fan that sounds like a bumblebee) in it  december 2011 and everything went seamless.

Deducing that the new card is arresting  the boot process and the old card got at least a post beep then hung up the boot process leads me to believe that my BIOS might be the culprit - but then why did a GPU replacement go so smoothly 15 months ago ?  If anyone needs more info i will definitely look it up in SIW.

Any Help from other users who know about this kind of thing or from the BC sages or both is very much appreciated.

~Thanks everyone~

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users