Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 licensing.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

I recently bought Windows 7 Pro to upgrade from Win XP Pro.

In one of the sub windows it had a nitification that I needed to register the OS with Microsoft. I bought from TigerDirect. 1st I saw it was 2 days, then 1...So I decided to register.

The wierd thing was, there was a completely different number that was listed. When I registered, it dawned on me to change the number to the one I bought, because it took the defaulted number without any problems. When I attempted to perform that task, the prompt kicked back & said something to the effect that it was an erronious number?

My question is, will there be a trap in the future that will red flag my system? In that there will be no updates for my computer or that functions will mysteriously quit because my computer won't be accepted for support from Microsoft?

It might sound stupid. I always follow the correct path for these things. I don't purchase knock off programs or OS disks. I just want to go through the proper protocol & channels.

If this license issue comes back to bite me in the ass or if there is that possibility, then I would rather deal with it now. Please post links, experince with this sort of issue, or pass on to me that I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the read of this; bit winded message.

mixpix

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

FWIW:  If you have a valid license for the version of Windows installed...there is nothing at all to worry or fret over.

Louis

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thank you Louis for your reply.

It gives me piece of mind.

Also I want to add that this is one of the best websites for self help of anything. If I can't see the idea of a problem that I am having trouble with, at least I can get enough idea from the posts from folks like you to find my way. Then when it finally clicks in, I am able to resolve it.

I spent many years on XP Pro OS & was happy; even to the point of foregoing Vista. But now that I also use Macs: iPhone5 & iPad, utilizing iCloud; need to upgrade to Windows 7. There were some websites that said I could tweak/trick XP to interface with iCloud, but not here. I didn't bother with that pathway, because of all of the headaches I see with people posted here.

I didn't want to "tweak" myself to a headache that was going to corner me to losing my system altogether. This laptop I bought from Dell in 2007. I went through the diagnostics to see if it could handle the move. TigerDirect sold Win 7 Pro for $134. At the same time, they were offering Win 8 for $34!

Again, the extra $100 is piece of mind that I wouldn't have to endure the potential headaches from Win 8.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems the best move is to stick with 7 & leave 8 alone until the bugs are worked out. I think, as Microsoft seems to be developing OS that is to cover smart phones & tablets, the writing on the wall is they are moving away from developing OS for PCs?

So maybe 7 & 8 are the last OS that will be applicable to the computers of today? It would seem that Microsoft has nothing to lose by that approach, as everyone will be changing out their OS devices as much as some change their shorts.

Again, thanks for the reply Louis.

mixpix

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

<<From what I've read on this forum, it seems the best move is to stick with 7 & leave 8 alone until the bugs are worked out. I think, as Microsoft seems to be developing OS that is to cover smart phones & tablets, the writing on the wall is they are moving away from developing OS for PCs?>>

Well...I don't claim to be able to predict the future...but I daresay that there is a great deal of difference between Win 8 and previous O/Ses...only to the extent of catering to a particular market segment, IMO.  It's hard to fault Microsoft for that, the market segment exists and, therefore, must be catered to if considered significant enough by MS.

As hardware used in/for/with computer systems changes...it makes sense for MS to change it's approach to marketing.  Although I don't do tablets and am not fascinated by the idea of using a touchscreen...many persons are and many of those persons will be new users.  Users who cannot imagine hard drives less than 1GB, the lack of USB as a fundamental part of a system, etc...just as many now cannot fathom life without the ability to stream music or capture/record TV content, make their own movies, make their own music, etc...all the things which now are commonplace practices for those of us with computers.

Life is not static...it flows...in spite of the fact that most of us would like to pretend that it IS static :).  I call that the "Illusion of Now" when I try to discuss such with friends.

In any case...an O/S of some type...will always be needed on a computer system...until they come up with some way to embed the O/S into the innards of what will then be known as "a computer" or some other teerm.

No point in fretting about any of these changes, IMO.  Those who don't want to "go with the flow" will still have access to whatever has been bypassed...although that may not be functionally equivalent to what has since developed.

Users will still have more options than they even want to become aware of..;.to do whatever a given user wants to do...on a computer system...IMO :).

Louis

#5 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to ask. Which system do you prefer?

I know for myself, I liked XP, but I didn't quite get it. I like 7 better. I know it is a newer OS, but it is also more intuitive for me. I am nothing but happy so far. And if the only problem is with regards to iCloud & the screen definition getting all weird on me, I'll be just as happy.

Thanks again,

mix

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

I dual-boot XP and Win 7...I don't have a preference for either :), I think that each does the job adequately for a person like me (an experienced user who appreciatees the tool that Windows is)..

But...I would probably use Win 7 more and XP less...if I did not participate in the forums here at BC.  In fact, I probably would not use XP at all, if it were not for the fact that many of the website forum posts relate to XP and I feel it's good to be able to try to replicate some of the situaations that are posted by members.

I haven't tried Win 8 and am unlikely to do so...I haven't discovered any faults in Win 7 that would propel me in the direction of Win 8.  Win XP is over 12 years old and has existed longer than any other version of Windows in terms of popularity (IMO), so I see no reason to dump Win 7 just because a newer O/S has been released.  When I say these things...I discount totally the (IMO) small number of Windows users who still are using 9x versions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users