Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving on to Win 7....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Want to thank all of the helpers on this side of the XP. I had a few problems & was helped one way or the other. Even though I have moved on to Windows 7 pro, from XP Pro, I am told that I still have XP, because I installed over it & didn't re-format the disk?

In the case that I would need to re address problems that may haunt me, though I am on Win 7; hope I could get problems solved?

I must say, XP was nice. I wasn't going to do vista. Dell sould me in 2007 a special machine that had xp loaded on it. I had emailed them & expressed interest in purchasing a laptop with xp instead of vista. They were giving the run around about how I would have to buy it with vista & then reload with xp. I was looking elsewhere, with no luck. I emailed Dell that I was going to switch to Mac. I got an email back a few days later, about these "special" xp machines: Inspiron 1520.

Now that I have Macs too, I couldn't get onto iCloud in the XP operating system. Though Tigerdirect was selling Win 8 at $34.00, I decided that Win 7 Pro at $134.00 was woth the price to eliminate the headaches.

Again, thanks.

mixpix

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

When you installed Windows 7 you should have been given the option of formatting the entire hdd or make or leave a partition, which did you do?

The worse case scenario would be that you have two partitions, one with the old XP installed, and a new one with Windows 7 installed.

You can look in Computer to see how many partitions you have.

Edited by dc3, 05 April 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

It only showed the (C:) (D:) drives & the photo stream. Not much there, but out of the 239 gigs of storage I have, only 66 Gigs are free. Noted I did back the system when in XP & moved the files over to an external Iomega HD.

I probably have redundent files that are contributing to the storage load? I hope that is it anyway. Maybe there is a safe way to make sure, I don't delete the wrong stuff?

I went to the Microsoft website & downloaded the tutorial: 'Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7'

This very site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

I downloaded the tutorial & did the prompts for "custom". I didn't reformat the disk; hope I am not haunted by the pathway I took.

Thank you dc3, for the reply.

Attached File  Screen shot win 7.jpg   187.06KB   2 downloads

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users