Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen: CHKDSK runs unexpectedly/restarts, system freezes up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy#1

sumguy#1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Greetings: 

Got referred here by Noknojon in the Anti-Virus, Firewall forum. There's 22 posts there, so instead of rehashing those posts here, probably best to go there and read it.

Original topic can be found here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487702/i-have-set-mse-updates-for-manual-install-but-it-auto-installs-anyway/

Mod Edit: Added link to original topic above. ~bloopie

But the thread topic is what I initially believed was without warning shutting my computer down. Causing a loss of whatever work I had done on my word processor. Not a good thing when you have time deadlines to finish work.

So that's why I'm here, trying to figure out what is causing the announced shutdowns.

Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   240KB   3 downloads

As stated in my other thread I got a Error 1075 when I ran a Realibility & Performance Monitor Check. Saying Windows could not start the NetMsq Listener Adapter on Local Computer. The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

I don't know if this is related to the announced shutdowns or not? But thought posting it couldn't hurt.

I have that report on my desktop if needed. Noknojon gave me a link to a MS 1075 Error thread. Which seemed to have a fix that other posters said worked for them by deleting a registry key that applies to the 1075 error. But I wasn't sure how to save that specific registry key before deleting? Export that specific key-save-then delete? Any suggestions here appreciated.

I have run full Malewarebytes scans showing no issues. I was running a full MSE scan yesterday, which ran for a couple of hours and I got the bue screen shutdown during the MSE scan. So no clue whats going on and why I'm here.

So thanks ahead of time, any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks, sumguy.

Edited by bloopie, 14 April 2013 - 02:24 PM.
Removed DDS logs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/490820 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:
  • If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
  • Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

Edited by bloopie, 14 April 2013 - 01:48 PM.
Removed DDS instructions

#3 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

1. Yes, still need help.

2. Have 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium.

3. Do I have the original CD/DVD? I presume this means do I have the CD/DVD original replacement discs, then yes I recently received two CD replacement discs.

I ran the DDS scan again with MSE firewall dropped and disconnected from the Internet. I have the reports on my desktop, but I'm not sure how to zip the reports before posting same? If I right click the desktop report icon-send to-there is a Compressed [zipped] Folder...is this how to "zip it up and attach it" here?

Also today about an hour ago MSE started automatically doing a mid-day scan, even though I have it set to scan at 3am. I tried saving my processor work during the scan and the computer froze up and wouldn't do anything and just kept spinning. I couldn't shut it down through the Windows start button in the lower tray. After about 30-40 minutes it was still spinning, so I had to shut it down through the power button.

I let it sit for 5-10 minutes and restarted. Upon restart it started and auto ran a CHKDSK disk scan. The first two stages said things were okay, but the 3rd stage ran, flashed some info on the screen and then shut down and restarted again. Then I signed in and got my previous session back, but it closed out my word processor.

I don't know why it froze up like that and just kept spinning and wouldn't let me do anything other than shutting it down via the powerbutton, which is not a good thing. It seems like the computer is runnung normally and then it does stuff like the above at announced times? I also put my MSE updating back to normal update mode, but giving me the option of when to download and install.

I back checked my daily logs and this same thing happened this past Wed., 4-3-13 when the MSE scanner was running it froze up my computer. The screen turned a light whitish color [not responding]. Anything I clicked on did nothing, and the only alternative I had was to hit the power button to restart it. So no clue whats going on here?

I'm wondering if the whitish screen and freeze ups may have something to do with my Firefox settings?

So any help would be appreciated. Thanks, sumguy.

Edited by sumguy#1, 10 April 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#4 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I got another blue screen CHKDSK thing today, 2nd time this week. Had to shut down via the power button to get back to where I was before. Lost whatever I was working on my computer before the blue screen/CHKDSK thing. Any help appreciated.

Sumguy#1

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hello sumguy#1, and welcome to the Malware Removal Forum! :thumbsup:

First, I must apologize for the delay in response to your topic. We can get busy here in the logs forum often at times, and I'm sorry it's taken this long for a response. You have my deepest apologies!!

My name is bloopie and I'll be helping you with your problems as best I can! :thumbup2:

A few things to keep in mind while we are working together:
  • If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate it if you let me know.
  • If you are unsure about any of the steps just post what you can and I will guide you!
  • Please copy and paste all logs here unless otherwise instructed!
  • Upon completing the steps below I will review your topic an do my best to resolve your issues.
==========

After reviewing your DDS log and your previous topic in the Antivirus forum, I don't think this issue is strictly malware related, but we will check a few things here nonetheless.

A question I need to ask: How long has this been a problem on this laptop?

Your SFC log shows many files needed to be replaced. Just to be sure, I would like you to run the sfc /scannow command from an elevated command prompt once more, then post the newest results for me here. That will ensure your system files are intact.

==========

I'm not sure why you haven't been asked for a speccy snapshot to check for possible heat issues, so please post that for me as well. You can use the following directions for that:

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.
If you cannot get on-line to publish the information, and wish to attach it as a text file to your post, then please edit it to ensure that you do not include your Windows Key.

==========

In your next reply, please include the following:
  • The new SFC log
  • The Speccy snapshot
  • Let me know how the machine is running now...any changes?
bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 14 April 2013 - 01:49 PM.
Removed CF instructions

#6 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thanks bloopie, busy forum, lots of computer issues. Future computers probably/should have a repair button/option so it repairs itself!

I ran some other tests Friday, they are below. I ran scannow again but have to shut down to let it do its thing, then restart, and will post the report tomorrow. I will run Combofix tomorrow as well.

Attached File  Minitoolbox Result.txt   18.02KB   5 downloads

Attached File  Rkill.txt   2.2KB   1 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tUlZIr4gwt0aX3JlFWE4BRR

Attached File  JRT.txt   6.68KB   1 downloads

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   109.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  FSS report.txt   2.58KB   1 downloads

The problem started when I started my other thread in the Antivirus forum.

I was initially thinking a heat issue also, as I had about 10 open windows at once a few times. But the shutdown/freeze up/CHKDSK thing also happened with only a few windows open, so...? My Motherboard is 60 degrees Celsius=140 degrees. Don't know if this is normal for my laptop, which I understand runs a bit warmer than a desktop.

I opened 10 windows temporally for a few minutes to see if it would change the Motherboard temp? It went up one Celsius, but I could feel the fan kicking in and pushing the heat out. So the fan appears to be working.

I have my laptop sitting on a cookie/cake cooling rack on the table, about 1/2" off table. Works pretty good. Serves a dual purpose: cookie/cupcake and laptop cooler!

Thanks for your reply, will do the Combofix and post the sfc /scannow report tomorrow......sumguy.

Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   36.02KB   4 downloads

Edited by sumguy#1, 14 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#7 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

In the sfcdetails.txt you can see I have a M.S. VC80.ATL Version=8.0.50727 Processor_Architecture_Intel issue. I presume this could not be fixed by sfc /scannow because the file is missing? At least that's what the sfcdetails.txt report is telling me?

I posted this same issue a year ago on April 27, 2012. The post got 480 views and zero replies. I presume that VC80 file or registry key can only be replaced with a original OS replacement disk...ugh? Hopefully there is another way to fix/replace this missing file/key?

I don't think Combofix can fix the VC80 issue, as the VC80 file/registry key appears to be missing according to the sfcdetails.txt report. So can't fix something that doesn't exist?

I believe the M.S. Visual C++ program has something to do with the VC80 program, forgot what the relevance was, but thought I would mention it if it does?

The Motherboard start up temp. this morning was 45 degrees Celsius, went up to 55C. within a minute, then back down to 48C. After an hour or so it was up to 60C., so I presume this to be normal starting warm up, cool down, then normal operating temp. once running?

Thanks Sumguy#1.

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hello again,

Thanks for displaying that information. It wasn't exactly what I had asked for, but it's good to know what you have already done to the machine.

After reviewing your logs, I see this doesn't at all seem to be a malware issue. Therefore I have moved this topic to the Vista Operating System forum and I removed the DDS log that shouldn't be posted in any other forum so that you can receive better help from the other members.

Also, please do not run Combofix now! Now that I have seen your other logs and have excluded malware as the issue, there is no need to run the program. If you have already run it, please let me know, but do not post the log.

I believe the M.S. Visual C++ program has something to do with the VC80 program.

This is correct, but you shouldn't need the Operating System disks for that. Reinstalling the program should take care of that.

This is not a heat issue either, my guess is it's a driver conflict but I can't be 100% sure.

Let's see what other minds have to suggest.

bloopie

#9 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Okay I just read your post, so I deleted Combofix log...I thought? Yes, no, maybe? If not you can delete it.

After Combofix ran and shutdown, I restarted the computer got the Red X marked for deletion on every program I tried to open...major :( disappointment! But then read Note 2, and rebooted again, and back too normal...whew sweating bullets there for awhile!

I also ran ESET Friday, there was one infection with an ASK.com toolbar. Which I presume was part of a AVG search box I don't recall where that came from either? But ESET must have deleted the AVG search box, as I haven't seen that program since I ran ESET. Nor could I find a report for that ESET scan. So it must have been a minor thing not requiring a report? Didn't want or need either program, but they seem to just attach themselves unknowingly.

Its kind of hard to answer your question: "Hows the computer running now"? Because it was running fine before it just shut down unexpectedly, and started doing the blue screen/CHKDSK scan, then shutdown and restart scenario...? So I'll just have to wait and see what happens?

Thanks, Sumguy#1.

Edited by sumguy#1, 14 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#10 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thank you!

Since you have ran CF, you may send me the Combofix log via PM. Your combofix log should be located at C:\ComboFix.txt

I also ran ESET Friday, there was one infection with an ASK.com toolbar.

This is merely adware. You can remove as desired. Personally I wouldn't use the toolbar at all.

Just FYI, your ESET log can be found here: C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt

Its kind of hard to answer your question: "Hows the computer running now"? Because it was running fine before it just shut down unexpectedly, and started doing the blue screen/CHKDSK scan, then shutdown and restart scenario...?

My asking "How is the computer running now" is just to see if there are any changes to the machine... like... "oh, my computer is running much better now!", or "my computer is still having the same issues".

...Or, "My computer is much faster, but my bluescreen issue is still here"...those kinds of things. :thumbup2:

bloopie

#11 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hello again,

Thanks for displaying that information. It wasn't exactly what I had asked for, but it's good to know what you have already done to the machine.

R. I didn't know what else to do so I ran those programs looking for issues, found and deleted two.

After reviewing your logs, I see this doesn't at all seem to be a malware issue.

R. I didn't think I had a malware issue either. But was presuming, based on a Firefox problem search, that incorrect Firefox settings may have caused the [not responding] whitish screen/do nothing spin job/keyboard freeze ups, that I was getting when trying to open pages? And maybe this whitish screen/freeze up/non-functioning keyboard thing had something to do with the blue screen/CHKDSK/shutdown thing...?

Therefore I have moved this topic to the Vista Operating System forum and I removed the DDS log that shouldn't be posted in any other forum so that you can receive better help from the other members.

R. Thanks.

I believe the M.S. Visual C++ program has something to do with the VC80 program.

This is correct, but you shouldn't need the Operating System disks for that. Reinstalling the program should take care of that.

R.  You are referring to reinstalling the M.S. Visual C++ program, correct? I think I may have reinstalled those programs previously.

I also presume that the M.S. Visual C++ program won't function correctly with the VC80 file/registry key missing, yes/no?

But the VC80 file or registry key can't be reinstalled, it has to be replaced via the original OS disk, yes/no?

Thanks, again, sumguy.

Edited by bloopie, 14 April 2013 - 05:10 PM.
Red text is sumguy#1

#12 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Mod:

If you think changing the title to something that more fits the issues presented here, be my guest. Maybe: "Blue screen/CHKDSK runs unexpectedly/shuts down/restarts/keys freeze up, etc." Or whatever...?

Thanks, sumguy#1. :)

#13 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hello again someguy#1,

I have edited the title of the topic as you requested. I have also edited your last posts to be more readable.

Please refrain from answering questions in "quoteboxes". Quote the questions, but answer them in plain text so that  they are more distinguisable, as I've done above with the reddened text.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 14 April 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#14 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I set my MSE settings back to automatic update recently. Previously I had WU set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." But I still got the below.

Since then, when I get the Windows update [WU] notification window pop-up. And I click on "Check for updates" it doesn't tell me what updates are available for installation, but tells me to restart my computer to install the updates. But when it restarts, my update history shows no updates were installed. This has happened several times lately.

I also got a pop-up this morning: "Check for solutions online" relevant to "Anti-Malware Service Executable". Problem: MpTelemetry. Files that describe problem: client_manifest.txt, but I couldn't find that report. There was a temp file I could have opened, but there was a virus warning if opened. So I didn't open it.

I also clicked the "Check for Solutions" button, it quickly scanned, showing 38 items, closed and said--"No new solutions found"?

Question: How do I get the Windows update list back so I can choose what updates to install, if any?

sumguy#1.

Edited by sumguy#1, 17 April 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#15 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hello again, and sorry for the delay!

Have you tried to uninstall M.S. Visual C++ and MSSE, then re-install those programs? If not, then try and do that first.

After doing that, then try again to force the check disk with the below instructions and let me know the results or let me know if it completed:

Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to fix file system errors and scan the disk surface for errors, attempt recovery of data and repair the disk:
  • Click the "Windows Orb" Start button, then click Computer.
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools tab
  • In the "Error checking" section, click on Check now.
  • Place a checkmark in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the Windows system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary ask "Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you start your computer?".
  • Click Schedule disk check > OK and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Click the "Windows Orb" Start button -> type "eventvwr" without the quotes -> press the <ENTER> key.
  • The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, expand "Windows Logs" and then click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Wininit", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Click on that Wininit entry to select it.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.
bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users