Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vjdetling

vjdetling

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

The DVD on my Dell Vista desktop computer has stopped working.  The DVD drive doesn’t show up in My Computer.  Also I’m not sure it is showing up in the Device Manager (though I’m not sure what kind of drive to look it up on.  Would it be under storage?)

When I put a CD or DVD in the drive, I hear a clicking sound like it is trying to start up, but nothing happens.  I have a feeling the drive has gotten disconnected from the computer but want to check out any other possibilities before I open the computer to check it out.  (Also I’m not sure I can tell if there is a disconnect, so may have to take it to a tech to have it fixed.)  Any suggestions you can give me would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Click on the Start orb and then type in devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box and then click on devmgmt in Programs. 

When the Device manager opens scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives, click on the diamond to the left of this and you will see the optical drive/s installed and recognized in this computer.  It should look similar to the image below.

devicemanager34_zps59416024.png

Double click on the optical drive and you will see an image similar to the one below.  You will see Device Status, if it is working properly it will tell you that it is.

devicemanager38_zpsd4665368.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 vjdetling

vjdetling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

When I go into the Device Manager . there is nothing between Display adapters and  Human Interface Devices.  (I don’t have any floppy drives).  Does that mean that the DVD drive is disconnected?

VJ Detling

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

One of these may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116'> CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows.

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive.  Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

If the above won't help, most likely, you need a new drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 vjdetling

vjdetling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I treid the first method  - looks like it is mainly for external DVD burners. Didn't help

I also tried going to the Device Manager and going to "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  There are 4 options under it but not the two you mentioned.  I have:

IDE Channel

IDE Channel

NVIDIA nforce Serial ATA Controller

NVIDIA nforce Serial ATA Controller

Standard Dual Channel  PCI  IDE Controller

Are any of these ones that I want to delete? 

I'm probably going to have to buy an external DVD burner.  since they don't come with software for burning, I'm hoping the computer will recognize it as a DVD and let me use the Vista burning software I alreay have, so I don't want to delete anything that won't reinstall.

Since I haven't uninstalled any third party DVD/ CD-burning package, the CDGONE patch will probably help me.

Valerie Detling

#6 vjdetling

vjdetling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

"CDGONE patch  will probably help me" - meant probably would not help me.

Valerie Detling

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Optical drives are plug and play devices, this means that Windows has drivers for these.  You will be able to use the Windows burning application.  There are some free applications out there which you may like to try, one that I use a lot is ImgBurn.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Here are some things to try:

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.

Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.

or…

2. Delete Upper & Lower Filters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Restart computer.

or…

3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.

Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.

Accept registry merge.

Restart computer.

or…

4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You'll see two items:

- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)

- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.

Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users